PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do I go back ?

bud007
November 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I cannot play audio discs in 8.04. I would like to go back to 7.10. I have cd with 7.10 on it. Can I just install over 8.04 or do I need to uninstall 8.04 and, if so, how do I do it?

ChildOfMana
November 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
That depends. Did you install Ubuntu 'inside' Windows using Wubi, or does it have it's own partition? Do you dual boot with Windows or is Ubuntu your only OS?

Also, when you say you can't use audio CDs in 8.04, what exactly do you mean by that? Do they mount but not play? Do they play but you can't hear anything?

If this is the only thing stopping you using 8.04 then we may be able to help you overcome this problem.

bud007
November 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I installed 7.10 from disc and then upgraded through the automatic upgrade to 8.04. Cd rom played music cd's in 7.10 but when i insert a music cd now i usually get the message "unable to mount audio disc drive/dev/scdo does not contain audio files". Some applications will recognize the content of the track and display the information but when i try to play the track the sound is clearly music but very garbled almost like a needle skipping on an LP ( guess i'm giving away my age). I have tried several different players but none work. I am really new at this. Tried SUSE linux before Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems much better if I could figure out the audio problem