PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying installing ubuntu

tntxx9
November 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
My problem isn't really at installing ubuntu ... my problem is by doing what this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm?page=1) web says right at the beginning at the part of doing the shrink of the disc, but my vista doesn't let me shrink anything so, it says that i don't have enough space (85.7 Gb of HDD free isn't that big enough for you mr. vista?!)
Wat can i do to shrink the vista partition ?!
btw, i already have the ubuntu 8.10 on a cd if that helps on anything ...

thanks in advance

MadKraut
November 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
hi, you need to *shrink* the windows volume first so that you can make use of the available disk space you have mentioned. That space is available for files on your vista drive, but not for the partitioner.

Maybe you have just missed the point where it says that you have to shrink the windows vista partition first ?

Regards,

M.

tntxx9
November 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
hi, sorry but i got it wrong, i can't shrink the vista partition ! will correct that error in the 1º post ...

MadKraut
November 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
that is of course a different story - I think that in order to shrink the partition, the available disk space normally has to be at the end of the partition that is to be shrinked.

In that case, maybe defragmenting the volume might help ?? Regards,

M.

Raouf
November 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
hi, sorry but i got it wrong, i can't shrink the vista partition ! will correct that error in the 1º post ...

all I think about it now
Don't Shrink Operating System Volume from another Operating System

I shrink Ubuntu partition from Vista Administration tools to create a Swap Partition but everything after is messed up

to partition your Vista OS
go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management
then choose Storage
and choose the partition you want to shrink and right click and shrink :D

take care
- Raouf

tntxx9
November 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
that is of course a different story - I think that in order to shrink the partition, the available disk space normally has to be at the end of the partition that is to be shrinked.

In that case, maybe defragmenting the volume might help ?? Regards,

M.

before estating i searched for preparations before installing ubuntu and i used CCleaner for clean trash that i have and another program for defragmentation so i don't think that is the problem :(

all I think about it now
Don't Shrink Operating System Volume from another Operating System

I shrink Ubuntu partition from Vista Administration tools to create a Swap Partition but everything after is messed up

to partition your Vista OS
go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management
then choose Storage
and choose the partition you want to shrink and right click and shrink :D

take care
- Raouf

Ok i will try that e will report back what happens

thanks for the help of you two !

EDIT: Raouf, that what you said, that was what i tried right at the beginning ... vista says that i have no space to shrink, that all HDD space is in usage ...

tntxx9
November 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
well i searched and found that my problem is that the vista defragmentation programm is not good, and the other program that i have for defragmentation is n't good to so e want to know if anyone knows a good defragmentation program that works/is for vista please !!
I know that that is my problem because i got 150 mb ONLY by defragmenting de vista partition and i have 81 Gb free -_-

please help here !

tntxx9
November 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
3 days waiting and nothing ...

1 different question ... can i install ubuntu inside the vista partition and creat a dual boot between vista and ubuntu, with the help of ubuntu ?!