PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Wireless problem

linnuxnub
November 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Before I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 the wireless on my laptop worked fine, but in 8.10 it doesn't, I am aware that alot of other users are encountering this problem but I was unable to find a solution in their posts.

My router does not show up in the drop down menu when I click the icon in the top right of my screen, and if I try to connect manually it will show up with a 0% signal.

I know that router and modem are working fine because my other laptop running vista can connect, as well as my desktop with xp.

Thank you in advance for all and any help.

Jim_in_Omaha
November 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Same problem here with the upgrade. Using a Hawkings Tech USB. I did a fresh install of 8.10 on a new system build using a PCI Edimax wireless. Worked without a hitch.

linnuxnub
November 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Thank's for the help but I tried that already, I thinking I might be doing something wrong but I'm not sure.

brunoscunha
November 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM
My wireless works, but I have so much delay comparing before the upgrade to 8.10

Jim_in_Omaha
November 12th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I gave up with the upgrade. So I did a backup of all my data and did a fresh installation of the new 8.10. It now sees the USB network adaptor (Hawkings Tech) without any trouble right from the start. All I did do was go into the connection settings and make it automatically connect. I'm just not real wild about the funky abstract wallpaper of some kind of long horned critter.

Somewhat off topic: I use a Sprint 3G broadband wireless adapter for work on an old ragged Thinkpad with XP. I just stuck the thing in a front USB port and told it to connect without my Hawkings Tech adapter plugged in. And low and behold it worked without any setup. whooo spooky...