PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] downloading 8.10 language packs takes forever

MadKraut
November 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
hi,

ubuntu 8.10 desktop here. After having evaluated the live CD for a while, I decided to go for a full install on disk. Everything went pretty smooth until I have reached the point where it says "downloading language packs" at around 82% through the install.

From that point on it took me a whopping 40+ minutes to reach 84% completion, where it still sits...

Installation is not totally dead, but *really* slow, although there is no problem otherwise with my internet connection , as this post proves (was able to start firefox from the prompt and have the install continue while I am writing).

Does anybody have an idea why this takes so long ? Can I make use of the "Skip" option here or would that corrupt the install ? Am I just too impatient ?

Thanks for any clues ! Kind regards,

M.

MadKraut
November 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Installation has finally finished after more than two hours (!)

When I tried to get the latest patches after the first reboot, it has shown that the mirror that is set by default must either have been under very heavy load or have a bad connection to the internet.

Download rates have been too sorry to mention, so I tried configuring new sources and could take advantage of the "find best server" option there. Now all is well !

Regards,

M.

Endolith
May 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Mine's doing this, too. Is it possible to press "Skip"?