PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing MySQL on Ubuntu 8.10

eweibust
November 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I want to install the mysql server on my new Ubuntu 8.10 install. The question I have is which mysql server? When I type sudo apt-get install mysql-server and do tab completion I see 3 mysql server options:

mysql-server mysql-server-4.1 mysql-server-5.0

I also see a mysql-community-server-5.0. So I guess my first question is what is the diff between the community version and the others and then what is the story between the 3 non-community versions? Obviously, 4.1 and 5.0 are easy but the non-version one?

thanks...
Erik

ilantal
November 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why don't you get it from the repository?

ShakataGaNai
December 3rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Not sure about mysql-community-server since the regular versions are the community versions (versus the enterprise version). mysql-server generally is just an alias to the latest version.

So which do you want to install? mysql-server-5.0

Unless you have a special reason to use an older version (compatibility with an old app, for ex).

arturoguedez
April 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on a Lenovo SL3000. Everything was going smoothly until I notices I was unable to some basic packages from the repository.

In which repository would I be able to find mysql related packages (server, client, etc) ?

Thanks

Arturo

snova
April 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit on a Lenovo SL3000. Everything was going smoothly until I notices I was unable to some basic packages from the repository.

In which repository would I be able to find mysql related packages (server, client, etc) ?

They should be in main. What errors are you getting?