PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Websites spread out?

cowbud
December 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
I constantly find that trying to find Ubuntu websites that I have to remember a different domain each time. Does anyone else thing that Ubuntu needs to consolidate?

Examples:
packages.ubuntu.com
www.ubuntulinux.org
www.ubuntuforums.org

I would rather see something lwhere they are all under one domain like:

forums.ubuntulinux.org
packages.ubuntulinux.org

Or am I just crazy? I just feel that one domain should rule them all not several those are just the ones I had off the top of my head.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2005, 05:47 PM
the forums, while officially blessed, are independent of ubuntu/canonical. so that'd be one explanation there.

cowbud
December 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
Yah I was wondering if that was part of the reason. Maybe they should become official :)

Brunellus
December 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM
I like a healthy separation. If the forums were to become fully official, then canonical would become liable for information here....

az
December 1st, 2005, 06:58 PM
The forums are an official part of the ubuntu community. It has nothing to do with Canonical. Canonical has seeded the community and provided the distro, but it does not run the community.

There are so many official forums that what you suggest is impractical. It is better than they are linked on the community page.

atoponce
December 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
The wonderful world of bookmarks. You can have a bookmark folder for all your ubuntu sites. If you have a Google account, you can have the bookmarks on the Google site, so regardless of the computer that you are using, they will always be available to you. Even though consolidation would be nice, it's likely not possible. Thus bookmarks. :)