PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dpkg: error processing system-tools-backends (--configure)

sreekanth27
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hello,

I just installed UBUNTU8.10 and I do not get any sound..I have posted the issue at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6133242#post6133242

But the biggest issue that I am facing is this error.. Can't seem to get it work:

###
* Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends invoke-rc.d: initscript system-tools-backends, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing system-tools-backends (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
system-tools-backends
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
##

Please help.. I think once I get this fixed I can get back my sound back.,.

graabein
November 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I've got the same problem right here. :( Also got an error about GDM or X or something while trying to fast-switch to a different user.

Okuryo
November 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I get this message too:

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up system-tools-backends (2.6.0-1ubuntu1.1) ...
* Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends invoke-rc.d: initscript system-tools-backends, action "start" failed.
system-tools-backends

This happens after a system freeze (which happened because of a graphic driver, apparently) during an update, after which I had to reset the machine.
No package manager works now.

charliedelong
November 10th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I am also in the same boat. I have 8.10 installed on a dell latitude c600...

naivivvuli
November 10th, 2008, 03:49 AM
yup same here. trying to install packages through terminal. output gives me error same as you guys

catilina
November 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm also facing the same (or at least i think so) problem

linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic
system-tools-backends

cariboo
November 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Have any of you tried System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager-->Edit-->Fix Broken Packages?

Jim

drifting
November 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
yup same here. trying to install packages through terminal. output gives me error same as you guys

Me too, resorting to the Acronis image it took BEFORE the upgrade, thank heaven I did take one.

Would love to know how to cure this one, it suggested a DKPG --configure -a but came back with a screen full of errors, and the only one I noticed was "liboobs" :-) I wonder why that one attracted my attention? The final message said DKPG ../../src/packages.c:265: process_queue: Assertation '!que.length' failed.
Aborted

Well that means nothing to me, so it looks like I will be going back to Hardy, and my trusty backup.

BTW I have tried this update twice via the alternate cd.

Regards Paul.

Dispew
November 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I got the same error on ubuntu 8.10 after update from

system-tools-backends (2.6.0-1ubuntu1)
to

system-tools-backends (2.6.0-1ubuntu1.1)

Try to force an old version system-tools-backends (2.6.0-1ubuntu1)

This works for me

sry for the english

steeleyuk
November 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'll confirm that downgrading the package works.

and the only one I noticed was "liboobs" I wonder why that one attracted my attention?

+1 :D

Okuryo
November 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
How do I force an old version?

fut21
November 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Reinstall the package from this webpage:
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2008/Nov/0037.html

busstation16
November 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I had this same problem, i went into synaptic marked the package for complete uninstall, uninstalled it, then reinstalled it. It seems to have fixed the problem.

Edit 1:
Actually, after restarting i had some errors,
reinstalling liboobs (from synaptic) and running
sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-applets
has fixed all but one:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".

Edit 2:
ah, and the last step was of course:

sudo apt-get install fast-user-switch-applet

all appears to be well now

charcourt
November 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I encountered the same problem (I believe it started after a failed graphics driver install).
I can confirm that re-installing system-tools-backends works a solution to this problem. Specifically, this is what I did:

Completely removed "system-tools-backends" (this also removed several other packages).
Re-installed "system-tools-backends".
Re-installed the other packages that were removed earlier. For me this was: "fast-user-switch-applet", "gnome-applets", "gnome-system-tools", "liboobs-1-4" and "ubuntu-desktop".

deviousjem
December 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I encountered the same problem (I believe it started after a failed graphics driver install).
I can confirm that re-installing system-tools-backends works a solution to this problem. Specifically, this is what I did:

Completely removed "system-tools-backends" (this also removed several other packages).
Re-installed the other packages that were removed earlier. For me this was: "fast-user-switch-applet", "gnome-applets", "gnome-system-tools", "liboobs-1-4" and "ubuntu-desktop".

Can confirm that the reinstall above solves this problem.

nikko_bosatsu
December 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Reinstall the package from this webpage:
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2008/Nov/0037.html
This work for Me.. the error message now gone.

andremk
December 26th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Can confirm that the reinstall above solves this problem.

Worked as a charm! Thanks! :)

bobloblian
January 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
When I reinstalled the removed packages, it removed scrollkeeper. too late for me to check now, but it may be that having scrollkeeper installed breaks system-tools-backends and the other packages, and perhaps just removing that will be sufficient?

Neo_The_User
January 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
the complete removal worked for me as well. Thanks all! :guitar:

pmorton
March 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Worked for me.