PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing System setup freezes

ronux
November 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hello All -

I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on the following customized PC (probably 5 yrs old machine):

MoBo: ECS EliteGroup K7VMM+
Chipset: Via KM266 & VT8235
Processor: 1.7GHz
HD: Western Digital 40GB
RAM: 2GB

Issue:
I tried 3 or 4 different LiveCDs.
The first one was defective and tossed away.
The second I was able to get all the way to the "Installing System" step about 22% and then the process got stuck.
I tried 2 more CDs d/l from different locations and burnt at very low speed (one at 4X and the other one at 1X).

They all gave me the same issue getting stuck during the Installing System phase.
Moreover I opted for manual and letting Ubuntu try to complete the full installation process and it got always halted at the same point. No dual-boot, use the entire HD.

I am out of ideas.

Note: The LiveCD properly works recognizing audio, network and it is fast on web browsing. Downloaded codes to playback some music. This makes me think that the issue has to do with some aspect of the hardware locking the installation down. But I could be wrong.

Suggestions and feedback are very welcome.

Thanks!!

Ron

ronux
November 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Solution of the problem

I used the Ubuntu "Alternate" CD.

This is a text based installer.

FYI: I had to download a couple of ISO files due to corrupted drivers. I did a CD check to find out about it. The second CD did report an Alsa file corrupted but I decided to try installing 8.10 in spite of this issue. It did work. Moreover I burnt the CD at 1X because 4X did not let me complete the installation.
I hope this info helps and it will save you some time.

:)