PDA

View Full Version : Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution!

Grant A.
November 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Alright, this has really gotten me mad. Everyone goes "Oh <linux/windows/mac/etc> needs 'X'" and "<Windows/Linux/Mac/Etc> sucks! I can't stand it, I'm moving to <Windows/Linux/Mac/Etc>". Look, nothing is perfect, alright? When was the last time that someone else's senseless complaining and whining on the internet got you to "get motivated and write the biggest program ever"? (Yes, I realize the irony in this post.) I mean, it's just plain pointless to whine. The biggest offender of these complaints are you guessed it... YOU. Linux, Windows, and Mac fanboys. If there is one thing I have learned from Open Source projects it is: "Implement it yourself, or it may never be done", so learn a damn programming language, take 5 minutes out of your day everyday to read a graphics editor program! Something! Just quit complaining and write a program to fix it. Chances are, if you never do it yourself, it will never get done. Developers have a TON of weight on their shoulders, and there are NEVER too many developers. Join a project, start your own to fix something in that annoying OS/Program, just QUIT THE COMPLAINING!

karellen
November 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
sounds good in theory, too bad it won't work for the vast majority of everyday users (people with jobs, you know...)

scragar
November 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'd love to help a project, jump in and join some existing project, but honestly I don't see any projects right now that need my help, everything does what I need it to(and often way more), so there's no incentive for me to get working on something.

Besides, the big negative with people wanting to start assisting in a project is the complexity of a lot of graphics libraries, they start off easy, then they just get stupid complex, and the average person doesn't want to learn it all, so they don't learn any of it.

Grant A.
November 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
[...]and the average person doesn't want to learn it all, so they don't learn any of it.

Therefore they should have no rights at all to complain. I find a clause like that might be good for the GPL. ;P

docinsano
November 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Heh, good rant man. I can't really complain, I've used all three (OSX, XP, and Xubuntu) at one point and while they all have their ups and downs, I like the freedom of choice between the three. I enjoy the open source freedom of the Ubuntu family, the ease of use and slick interface of OSX, and the broad variety of programs only available for XP, such as software for devices like voice recorders and MP3 players. To truly survive in this age of computing, I believe you will need all three. I could moan all night and day about how each one sucks, but in the end, all three are unique operating systems that are worthy to be installed on any desktop or laptop.

mentallaxative
November 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You are correct that people should be more constructive rather than remain complaining all the time about things that are broken.

Having said that, this sort of approach propagates the attitude that you need to know programming to use Linux effectively--something that is likely to put off adoption by users of other operating systems who expect their system to work perfectly with no hitches.

I am learning how to program myself. :)

smoker
November 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
i don't have any problems with open source (at least none i can think of now!), and i don't programme. there is so much choice that if something doesn't work for me, there always seems to be something else that will. maybe i'm lucky. :-)

loell
November 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
take it from another perspective, :lolflag:

why not,

don't be part of the problem's problem, be part of the real solution!

whining the whine isn't gonna help anyway, it doesn't even make a difference.
you talk of whine r's "don't have the right to complain" , so.. what right have you got to complain the complainers? ;)

talk is cheap as they say. though it has become cliché, still, action speaks louder than words.

what project are you part in? do you contribute to the kernel? what badge of FOSS participation can you show to boast that you are part of the solution? :lol:

K.Mandla
November 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The Linux philosophy is ‘Laugh in the face of danger.’ Oops. Wrong one. ‘Do it yourself.’ Yes, that’s it.
:)

koenn
November 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
take it from another perspective, :lolflag:

why not,

don't be part of the problem's problem, be part of the real solution!

whining the whine isn't gonna help anyway, it doesn't even make a difference.
you talk of whine r's "don't have the right to complain" , so.. what right have you got to complain the complainers? ;)

talk is cheap as they say. though it has become cliché, still, action speaks louder than words.

what project are you part in? do you contribute to the kernel? what badge of FOSS participation can you show to boast that you are part of the solution? :lol:

yeah, and we can go on like that ad infinitum;
complaining about people whining about whiners isn't going to help any, it doesn't make a difference.
what right have you got to complain about people complaining the complainers ?

and, dare I ask, what project are you part in? do you contribute to the kernel? what badge of FOSS participation can you show to boast that you are part of the solution? :lol:

loell
November 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
and, dare I ask, what project are you part in? do you contribute to the kernel? what badge of FOSS participation can you show to boast that you are part of the solution? :lol:

hahah, will you take a PM? i'll gave you a list. :biggrin: :lolflag:

ssam
November 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
if you can't program, and you dont want to learn then you can donate money. The thread Please people, DONATE! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=625206) has a big list of free software projects that accept donations.

If every ubuntu user gave a tiny bit, that would pay for hundreds of new developers.

ps: if you're not pare of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

koenn
November 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
hahah, will you take a PM? i'll gave you a list. :biggrin: :lolflag:

I had a look at your launchpad page, I know you have at least a few FOSS things going on.

So let me rephrase:
how is participating in FOSS projects AND complaining about people whining about whiners going to solve anything ?

You're smart, you'll get it.

loell
November 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
how is participating in FOSS projects AND complaining about people whining about whiners going to solve anything ?

You're smart, you'll get it.

it doesn't, its infinitum after all.

until..

http://lexlibertas.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/i-divided-by-zero.jpg

brunovecchi
November 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd like to add that you do not actually need to be able to code to help a FOSS project. Reporting bugs, writing and translating documentation are valuable ways of helping too, and they really increase the software quality and pace of development.

Grant A.
November 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Actually, I got tired of there not being enough games for Linux so I started helping out with The Mana World (http://www.themanaworld.org). I am a pixel artist who contributes there, and recently I contributed a new item for the game, you can even see most of my pixel art contributions in the art repository section of my blog. And before you say this game isn't even popular, we are in the Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian repositories.

So here is your "lol" back:

:lolflag:

I'd like to add that you do now actually need to be able to code to help a FOSS project. Reporting bugs, writing and translating documentation are valuable ways of helping too, and they really increase the software quality and pace of development.

@brunovecchi: Thank you very much for saying that, I totally forgot to mention that in the OP.

loell
November 9th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Actually, I got tired of there not being enough games for Linux so I started helping out with The Mana World (http://www.themanaworld.org). I am a pixel artist who contributes there, and recently I contributed a new item for the game, you can even see most of my pixel art contributions in the art repository section of my blog. And before you say this game isn't even popular, we are in the Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian repositories.

So here is your "lol" back:

:lolflag:

And so I rest my case.. :lolflag:

:KS and :biggrin: for you.

Lord Xeb
November 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I am a Linux fanboy and I do not complain much about Linux/Win/Mac because i like them all. Each has their strengths and weakness (win being Viruses, Mac being it is like a rock, you cannot change it, and linux being very customizable and sometimes not very user friendly). The only problem I have with windows is how slow it is sometimes getting things done (especially the comptuers at my school wich a lot of them only have 256MB of ram and can do upgraded to 1GB for like 20-30 bucks a piece). Sometimes getting on the web takes a full 5 MINUTES! and we only have 45 min to do things before class is over.