PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] playing WMA files

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hello! I just switched to ubuntu and have zero experience. I can't find anything that will allow me to play my WMA files on Audacious or Rhythmbox -- any ideas? Also, I will need moderately detailed instructions if you'd be so generous. Thank you!

Sam

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
well lets start, what version of Ubuntu are you using?
I heard there were problems with playing WMA in Ibex but lets see.

Crafty Kisses
November 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
You should be able to play WMA files in VLC.

sudo apt-get install vlc

pirattrev
November 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
if they are the DRM'd windows files I don't think you'll be able to play them. If they aren't DRM'd then VLC Media Player will be fine.

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
right there are some WMA files that wont work because of digital restrictions management, I also know some WMA files that work with WMP 10 and 11 wont work in ubuntu due to encoding crap.

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
If you go to System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager, then search for and mark for installation "ubuntu-restricted-extras" you will get codecs for playing mp3, wma and other things like Sun Java. WMA files are working fine for me on Intrepid.

frankleeee
November 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM
If you go to System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager, then search for and mark for installation "ubuntu-restricted-extras" you will get codecs for playing mp3, wma and other things like Sun Java. WMA files are working fine for me on Intrepid.

Yes I have never run across a WMA that couldn't be played on a Free OS (Ubuntu)

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yes I have never run across a WMA that couldn't be played on a Free OS (Ubuntu)

Unless they are encrypted.

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Ok, so I already had the restricted-thing downloaded, no avail. And what in Intrepid? Can't find it in the Synaptic PM ..

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I have VLC already, but if I try to load my music folder it always poops out on me. I think the folder might be too large for VLC to handle or something

Crafty Kisses
November 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Go to System ---> Administrator ---> Synaptic Packet Manager.

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I already have VLC. It opens and can handle a movie, but I'm looking for a program that I can load 6k songs through and listen to all of the files, regardless of their type.

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I already have VLC. It opens and can handle a movie, but I'm looking for a program that I can load 6k songs through and listen to all of the files, regardless of their type.

Rhythmbox can do this if you install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
VLC can also play pretty much all media types.

frankleeee
November 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The xmms2-plugin-avcodec in the universe database is supposed to read wma but personally I always install all the gstreamer stuff along with vlc and the Ubuntu restricted extras. I am installing it now but it removes libavcodec-unstripped-51,
but installs libavcodec51 (3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3) so if you have problems the history in synaptic will tell exactly what was added and removed, good luck.

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, thank you everyone. It seems all of my RHCP songs, specifically, do not work. Some other WMA files do, however. Is there a way to convert WMA to MP3 to save these & other non-playable wma files, or should I just toss them (sadly)?

eolson
November 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Will this help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I believe I have the newest Ubuntu, 1.0-something? They are only listed up to 8.-something on that page.

mc4man
November 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Before you toss those tracks have you tried playback in any xine engine player (amarok, totem-xine - with libxine1-ffmpeg installed) or mplayer?
If they are wma lossless, vlc, rhythmbox, totem-gstreamer won't play

sammasaurus
November 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Before you toss those tracks have you tried playback in any xine engine player (amarok, totem-xine - with libxine1-ffmpeg installed) or mplayer?
If they are wma lossless, vlc, rhythmbox, totem-gstreamer won't play

A friend installed xine for me. But I have to say I hate the program, for aesthetic and functional reasons. I'm looking for a program as similar to Winamp as possible.

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
If you're looking for something like Winamp try Audacious.

My guess is your RHCP songs have been encrypted. Did you rip the CD on Windows Media Player? I had a whole lot of songs on one computer that were unplayable on any other computer because WMP had encrypted them.