PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Ubuntu chat room?

Roasted
November 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM
These forums... man they're great. But sometimes I find myself pacing around on forums just to find a discussion to poke my nose into for sake of conversing on the topic of Ubuntu.

Is there a chat room that exists with the primary topic being Ubuntu? Perhaps in MIRC or something of that nature?

elmer_42
November 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
As far as I know there is an IRC channel on FreeNode (irc.freenode.net) called #ubuntuforums that should be what you want.

jimrz
November 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
also #ubuntu + various others

igknighted
November 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
there is also #ubuntu on freenode, that's the main ubuntu support channel.

elmer_42
November 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
[#ubuntu]'s the main ubuntu support channel.
Which is the reason I didn't mention it; there doesn't need to be any more chatter in that channel, it moves fast enough as it is.

Roasted
November 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hey hey, I may like to sit back and watch everybody else talk. I may learn something. How do I get to this Ubuntu channel? What program do I need? Gotta admit, I've never touched MIRC or anything like it.

zmjjmz
November 9th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Install XChat (from Add//Remove)
When you first start it you should see a server listing. Connect to Ubuntu Servers, and join the channel #ubuntuforums using the command
/join #ubuntuforums
You can do more stuff, like having it autostart, but I'm too tired to explain it now (it's some simple GUI switches, you can probably hunt them down).

chris4585
November 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Don't forget #ubuntu-offtopic and ##club-ubuntu on freenode