PDA

View Full Version : My Random Computer Story in my School.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Here is my random computer story from my school.

Well first, to give some info:
Every computer in the school runs Windows XP. We use these computers to learn Math and Reading. A Program on the computer asks us questions and we just answer them. There are 5 computers in each classroom. 1 for the teacher and 4 for us. Students go to some random classroom for computers.
And last thing: My name is Nicholas

And now to start the story.

It was one day at my school. I was at my computer doing my work. when i logged out of math to switch to reading, the computer next to me flipped its screen upside down. (No, Not the monitor.) I just continued my work.

Now after that while I was in Math class, A 5th grade teacher comes into the class room. She tells us that the screen of the computer next to me is upside down. I tell her I may be able to fix it. She takes me and the other kids in my computer room to there. She makes us stand behind what computer we work on. I told her again I could fix it. She stood in silence. I decided I should just fix it. I did and I told her how it flipped during my session. After I did this, She thought I flipped the screen over. I got disappointed. We had a substitute teacher, So my real teacher could not start with the yelling. After lunch, My real teacher came back. (The substitute teacher only stayed for the morning.) All she did say to me is that I am in a lot of trouble and that she opened her mouth when she read the letter. She also said I was going to have a letter written home for my parents. For the rest of the day, I was sad. Finally when school was over, I went home. Because my dad was at work, I told my mom everything. Now you may think I would get grounded right away. But I did not.
See, I use to be a computer kid in the 3rd grade last year, And I never affected the computers we had. After I told my mom the story, I went bike riding with my friend. When I came home, My dad asked my what happened in school. I told him the story. He said not to fix something without someone saying to. I asked him to talk to the teacher. So the next Monday, He calls my teacher and talks to her. They both agree that I am a good student. She said when a student said Nick did it, She said that there was no Nick in the class. (Having a Nickname that is Nick is annoying some times.) Well I got out of trouble. Now a few days later, A computer screen is flipped upside down in a kindergarten classroom. My friend tells the teacher that is is flipped and she tells her that I can fix it. So I go to the room with my friend, And I see this teenager just dragging the task bar up and down... (Windows is bad for people...) I fix it and lock the taskbar. I then went back to my classroom. The teacher says I fixed it fast and she assigns me a job to shutdown the 4 computers the kids use in the classroom. She said all I need to do is log them off, But I can shut them down. So after a few MORE days, I get a job to turn those computers on every morning. One day, A girl named Sarah comes up to the teacher and tells here about two empty rooms. The computers in these rooms aren't being shut down. And now, My teacher assigns me 4 more computers, And she assigns Sarah another four. Now I shut down 8 computers, And I turn on 4.

This is guranteed to be my longest post ever.

zmjjmz
November 9th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Wow, it sounds like that people in charge (as in faculty) of these computers don't exist.

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Wow, it sounds like that people in charge (as in faculty) of these computers don't exist.
In my rounds, elementary schools come last. If I fix them in the morning, they'll be screwed-up in the afternoon.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Of course! The computers at my school stink. And the ones last year were the worst computers ever..

zmjjmz
November 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I just think that not enough effort/funds are being put into technology programs at elementary schools. From what I've seen, they usually have poorly maintained computers.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Right again. The computers aren't really monitored. For example, A few days ago the computer program would show a black screen. I had to come up with the fix. Then after a few days, A different teacher that thinks shes good with computers steals my fix... I really wish Windows didn't have so much GUI'S. If it didn't, Than people wouldn't be dumb with computers.

nerd0795
November 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM
To flip the screen back up press CTRL + ALT + UP KEY. Lol, that sounded like fun. I'm the computer tech help for students in my class. It get's annoying, since I sit down write a program for my computer course in (visual basic :( I rather learn C, c++ or python) and then 2 people ask me for help. Such as getting rid of a word document that someone sabotaged. So I fix it, then another problem. Then people are vandalizing the computers. Such as putting sticky notes in the optical drive and removing the face plates of the computers.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I know... I wonder what would happen if Ubuntu was running on the machines... I think it would be way better than the crap we have now.

MaxIBoy
November 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Take screenshot of the screen without any windows open.
Set the screenshot as the desktop background.
Right click the desktop, click "arrange icons by," uncheck "show desktop icons."
Unlock the taskbar, and resize it until it's really hard to see. Then, lock it again.
????
Profit.

Grant A.
November 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Right click the desktop, click "arrange icons by," uncheck "show desktop icons."
Unlock the taskbar, and resize it until it's really hard to see. Then, lock it again.
????
Profit.

That is possibly the most thought out plan I have ever heard. :o

Btw, that wasn't sarcasm.

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I really wish Windows didn't have so much GUI'S. If it didn't, Than people wouldn't be dumb with computers.
Right. Because knowing how to run a CLI makes you intelligent? Really. Can you list what functions the registry does with each key? That is usually edited with a GUI. Can you do a system repair and optimizaiton with both a CLI or a GUI in UNIX, Linux, OS X, or Windows? Both methods work fine but if you use the GUI you are now dumb?

CLI =/ GUI. They both have their benefits.

MaxIBoy
November 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think what Nicolas meant is "wizards."

At least Macintoshes don't have those things. Just imagine: the "pick up and carry your laptop wizard."

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM

At least Macintoshes don't have those things. Just imagine: the "pick up and carry your laptop wizard."
Lol. And yes I did mean wizards. I mean when I am on Windows, there is all these wizards for simple things... It drives me nuts some times. And then comes Vista's security... I disabled UAC (User Account Control) and even with a antivirus program installed, Vista got a virus that disabled my Antivirus program.

Right. Because knowing how to run a CLI makes you intelligent? Really. Can you list what functions the registry does with each key? That is usually edited with a GUI. Can you do a system repair and optimizaiton with both a CLI or a GUI in UNIX, Linux, OS X, or Windows? Both methods work fine but if you use the GUI you are now dumb?

CLI =/ GUI. They both have their benefits.

I said less GUIS (Also Wizards). Using a GUI doesn't make you dumb. I have been using a GUI since I started with any OS. And it doesn't mean I am dumb with CLI.

Jengajam2
November 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Our computers at school are so messed up that when I just do web browsing during study hall, I just pop in a Linux Mint or Slax live-cd.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Our computers at school are so messed up that when I just do web browsing during study hall, I just pop in a Linux Mint or Slax live-cd.
Cool.
WAIT!
Jengajam2? Remember me?
And one more thing...
You use Linux! (If you use Ubuntu OMG...)

RATM_Owns
November 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
????
Profit.

I must remember that for tomorrow.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I must remember that for tomorrow.
You don't resize the task bar, you kill explorer.exe.

lukjad
November 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM

No, no! It would be really cool! When you get to the "Unplug the computer from the wall" part, you it would start to sing "Daisy, Daisy".

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM
No, no! It would be really cool! When you get to the "Unplug the computer from the wall" part, you it would start to sing "Daisy, Daisy".
Lol.
And MaxIBoy, I have an H in my name. (Nicholas)

schauerlich
November 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

If I didn't link to this, LaRoza would have...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2466?viewlocale=en_US

cardinals_fan
November 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I know... I wonder what would happen if Ubuntu was running on the machines... I think it would be way better than the crap we have now.
Doubtful. Stupidity will cause problems anywhere.

And then comes Vista's security... I disabled UAC (User Account Control) and even with a antivirus program installed, Vista got a virus that disabled my Antivirus program.

An antivirus program is about as useful as a bulletproof vest after you've been shot. Use a firewall and common sense.

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I said less GUIS (Also Wizards). Using a GUI doesn't make you dumb. I have been using a GUI since I started with any OS. And it doesn't mean I am dumb with CLI.
Which is proving my point. I don't mean to come across harsh, I just see way too many linux users (mostly Ubuntu, no offense) who think becase they can bust out a few processes in a terminal think they know anything about how a computer actually works, or software for that matter.

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Which is proving my point. I don't mean to come across harsh, I just see way too many linux users (mostly Ubuntu, no offense) who think becase they can bust out a few processes in a terminal think they know anything about how a computer actually works, or software for that matter.
It's easy to see if they actually know everything, ask em this:

Explain the difference between the measurement of speed between a Parallel and Serial device. Take into account the Units.

You'd be surprised how many, even intermediate, computer users don't know that.

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It's easy to see if they actually know everything, ask em this:

Explain the difference between the measurement of speed between a Parallel and Serial device. Take into account the Units.

You'd be surprised how many, even intermediate, computer users don't know that.
Serial is bit-by-bit. Parellel is a whole group of bits in an giver array, so to say, at one time. Don't know how I remember that, haven't used either since the late 90s. Which is why I guess most people forgot it? :confused:

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Serial is bit-by-bit. Parellel is a whole group of bits in an giver array, so to say, at one time. Don't know how I remember that, haven't used either since the late 90s. Which is why I guess most people forgot it? :confused:
Aye, Serial is measured in bits and Parallel is measured in bytes. The intarweb is measured in bits because it is a serial system. We just download in measured bytes (not accurate).

Though, ask em that, or how RAM stages work (extended, expanded, upper, etc.) and you'll get a fairly accurate response.

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Aye, Serial is measured in bits and Parallel is measured in bytes. The intarweb is measured in bits because it is a serial system. We just download in measured bytes (not accurate).

Though, ask em that, or how RAM stages work (extended, expanded, upper, etc.) and you'll get a fairly accurate response.
I'm not sure where this is going so to keep the thread on track, there is nothing wrong with a GUI or wizard. Many of the greatest users and programmers use the most "avanced" programs to do their means.

Also, I forgot to say, congrats on getting the shutdown job. I only got to use one computer a week at my elementary.

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure where this is going so to keep the thread on track, there is nothing wrong with a GUI or wizard. Many of the greatest users and programmers use the most "avanced" programs to do their means.

Also, I forgot to say, congrats on getting the shutdown job. I only got to use one computer a week at my elementary.
I was suggesting Niccholaspage to ask that to his teacher. I am very bad at indirectly suggesting things.

The first part to making someone trust you is to convince them that you know enough to do the job, even if convincing them of something has nothing to do with the actual task at hand.

Vince4Amy
November 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
removing the face plates of the computers.

I'm forever repairing them things at school, why do people always smash them off, it's most annoying.

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I was suggesting Niccholaspage to ask that to his teacher. I am very bad at indirectly suggesting things.

The first part to making someone trust you is to convince them that you know enough to do the job, even if convincing them of something has nothing to do with the actual task at hand.
I'll rememeber that in ~2 years when I'm out of college looking for a job. Thanks.

niccholaspage
November 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I know. I see a lot of users doing this.

Lord Xeb
November 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Sup Nick. I have experienced some the problems that you have as well. The Librarian at my school yelled at me the other day because I touched the ethernet hub that connects 4 computers in the library to the network. Sometimes the cords will come loose so I checked them (because I couldn't log on). She tells me that I am not allowed to do that and that I could crash the computers (idiot). She then went on to say that she was going to tell Rev (he is the high school computer admin and teacher for a few classes). I told her that he wouldn't care and she got off my back. >_>

Also, she gets mad at me when I bring my Laptop (which i am on right now that has 8.10 installed on it) and get on the network. <_< >_> I sometimes just sit there and do school work as well as show off Ubuntu to by using compiz :D people always ask me what it is. Ubuntu is a magnet for attention

niccholaspage
November 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I know. I brought my laptop to my church while we were eating. Like 20 people came up to me when I was showing off my fire effects. They said "How are you doing that?" and I say:"You can't do that. You run Windows, And I run Linux." Only ONE person in the whole church in his teens knew about Linux.