PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install beryl?

Redundant Username
November 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I just installed ubuntu and I want to change the window manager.

lykwydchykyn
November 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Beryl is not around any more. It merged back with the compiz project. So you want to install compiz.

If you are using the standard desktop ubuntu, though, I believe compiz is already installed by default, and should automatically enable if your hardware is up to the task. Someone can confirm that for me, cause I'm not 100% sure on the last point.

Redundant Username
November 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
How can GNOME and Compiz be enabled at the same time? The windows do have Compiz like effects though.

steveneddy
November 10th, 2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.compiz-fusion.org/

Also try the Compiz link in my sig.

jklslvch
November 10th, 2008, 03:49 AM
make sure your graphics cards working and install a program called "fusion-icon"
it should rake in any dependencies if any then you can use that to have 3d effects and all

lykwydchykyn
November 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM
How can GNOME and Compiz be enabled at the same time? The windows do have Compiz like effects though.

GNOME is a desktop environment

compiz is a window manager

A window manager is simply one component of a desktop environment. Namely, the part that manages windows.

Some window managers attempt at being lightweight desktop environments (e.g. fluxbox, wmaker, icewm), while others just strictly manage windows (kwin, metacity, xfwin4) and are meant to be used as part of a desktop environment (which is expected to provide things like menus, panels, session management, etc).

Compiz is the latter, which is why you can use it in tandem with a desktop environment like KDE, GNOME, or XFCE. It just replaces the default window manager of that environment.