PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Nvidia 1280x960, Sound, Movies need help with Intrepid.

Neobuntu
November 9th, 2008, 02:47 AM
My Nvidia 4 series GPU didn't work due to Nvidia not finishing the driver version "96" for Intrepid. I used the beta driver and installer from Nvidia and it seems to work. Except now my system will not start up at my desired photo editing resolution of 1280x960. It has some "virtual" slack or something that I did not select or want. When I go into settings and click the Kubuntu "Display" settings, that alone snaps the screen back to a stable 1280x960. What up with that? Alien Arena works but with sound glitches it the first few seconds of starting.

Sound starts and is clipped off when KDE4 starts. How do I fix it?

The movie player "Dragon" doesn't play various types of movies; even though I installed the Kubuntu restricted drivers.

Neobuntu
November 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Please help. This is on a clean on upgraded 8.10

cariboo
November 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Have you tried the new 96 driver in the repositories? I believe it was added to the repository on last Friday.

Jim

Neobuntu
November 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
1. Installed new 96 over beta and save in Nvidia-settings again (just in case) and after rebooting, it does come up as it should now, set to 1280x960. Thanks.

2. Sound still makes one note and stops. First few seconds of music in Alien Arena shudders.

3. Still no sure which way to turn in order to get my various video formats working like they did in Hardy. Perhaps I'm missing an easy way. I just can't find it! Over and over again I do this and in different way each time. Forgetting the specifics and now it's different. I'm I missing a directional page for this because I Googled.

Neobuntu
November 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I found: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

I have no idea, if this is the best way (for movie codecs and players). Any advice?

Addendum: Mplayer installed works best for various movie formats.

.mov .avi(divx,xvid) .mp4 .mpg etc... (you may need some hardware horsepower for .MP4 and hi res .mov).

This includes my new FZ28 cameras video; at 1280x720 and 30 FPS Quicktime wrapped MJPEG.

Flash and Java are working too and with Firefox plugins. The Mplayer plugin for Firefox works too.

Neobuntu
November 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I still don't have the complexities of sound fixed. Chopped off start up sound. No sound in games. pulse not working. Aggg!