PDA

View Full Version : Run gedit with a diffrent user profile

Lanrat
November 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hi. I use gedit as a normal text editor/viewer, and for programing. I would like it so that when gedit it used for opening a file it opens the way it normally would. but then to have some launcher that will open it with different plug-ins and settings when I use it for programing.

How is this possible?
Is there some sort of variable or command line argument I can use to specify a different config directory? The default one is /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2 so would it be possible to specify another one like /home/user/.gedit_programing?

Devport
November 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
A quick solution that came to my mind is that you could create an extra user, e.g. username_dev, setup gedit to your development needs using that account and then launch gedit as that user using sudo. You could create a launcher using sudo / gksudo to start gedit dev and you could add an entry to nautilus context menu using nautilus-actions.

Just an idea, I didnt try that myself. Its a bit hackish but better than nothing. Funnily your topic title almost matches that solution.

Lanrat
November 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I thought of that. But I would really like a way that does not involve making another user. just a diffrent profile. I dont want to need to enter a password everytime I run it and I would also like it to use my home directory and other global settings I have for my acount.

Lanrat
November 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
bump.

Lanrat
November 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Anyone?

Would it be possible to make a link that only a certian instance of gedit would be able to see? a link to a diffrent config directory?

voteforpedro36
November 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Anyone?

Would it be possible to make a link that only a certian instance of gedit would be able to see? a link to a diffrent config directory?

Yeah, it would. First run "gedit -h" from the terminal. This should give you a help screen. Hopefully one of the things it can help you with is a switch to specify a config file. Now that you know that, copy the first config file (you said you found it), and run gedit with that switch pointing to the new config file, and make a shortcut to do that whenever you want to program.

BTW I don't have Gedit installed so I'm not sure what the config file switch is, or if there is one.

Lanrat
November 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have already looked, I do not see what you are talking about. do you mean Session management? I tried it but could not seem to get it to work.

gedit --help-all
Usage:
gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] - Edit text files

Help Options:
-?, --help Show help options
--help-all Show all help options
--help-gtk Show GTK+ Options
--help-sm-client Show session management options

GTK+ Options
--class=CLASS Program class as used by the window manager
--name=NAME Program name as used by the window manager
--screen=SCREEN X screen to use
--sync Make X calls synchronous
--gtk-module=MODULES Load additional GTK+ modules
--g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal

Session management options:
--sm-client-disable Disable connection to session manager
--sm-client-state-file=FILE Specify file containing saved configuration
--sm-client-id=ID Specify session management ID

Application Options:
--encoding=ENCODING Set the character encoding to be used to open the files listed on the command line
--new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit
--new-document Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit
--display=DISPLAY X display to use

linkxs
November 12th, 2008, 06:39 AM
use the power of alias command.

Lanrat
November 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
use the power of alias command.

That does not do what Im trying to do. With that I need to have a command that can be entered already. I am not at that point. I was thinking into possibly trying it in chroot. but I have no experience with chroot.

Can anybody advise?

aysiu
November 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
The sloppy workaround would be to have the command be a shell script like this:
#!/bin/bash
mv /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2 /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2.user
mv /home/user/.gedit_programing /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2
gedit & with a corresponding
#!/bin/bash
mv /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2 /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2.programing
mv /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2.user /home/user/.gconf/apps/gedit-2
gedit &

Lanrat
November 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM
This still does not have the desired effect. This will not allow the 2 "versions" of gedit to run at the same time.