PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck in text mode after trying to install Nvidia driver

joker0n3
November 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Intrepid installed fine. Downloaded all the updates and necessary drivers and whatnot. Then when i went to install the Nvidia driver and restart my comp i get stuck in text mode and cant get back to the os GUI. PLOX HALP! I got my XP install cd on standby.

Skripka
November 9th, 2008, 12:34 AM
First thing to try, login in at the prompt then:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

substitute "gdm" with "kdm" if on Kubuntu.

joker0n3
November 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
First thing to try, login in at the prompt then:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

substitute "gdm" with "kdm" if on Kubuntu.
I've tried that option already.
And when i do gdm status, it says its running.
Go figure, im still in text hell.

tvtech
November 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
first of all. threats are not welcomed

second off to regain control of your visual ubuntu system type the following at the command prompt

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

this will reconfigure your xorg.conf file which seems to have broken due to the nvidia proprietary driver and your hardware. you may want to do some research as to why this is and not give up so easily. Linux is more about the learning and playing than the stable functional OS, unless you purchased a computer pre-configured with Linux then it is all about the functional OS.

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
How did you try to install the nvidia drivers? Did you go to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers to enable them?

You can reconfigure your X server to default settings by running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"

Oh, before you do that, what happens if you press "Ctrl + Alt + F7"? You said GDM was already running so you might just be on another tty.

joker0n3
November 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM
first of all. threats are not welcomed

second off to regain control of your visual ubuntu system type the following at the command prompt

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

this will reconfigure your xorg.conf file which seems to have broken due to the nvidia proprietary driver and your hardware. you may want to do some research as to why this is and not give up so easily. Linux is more about the learning and playing than the stable functional OS, unless you purchased a computer pre-configured with Linux then it is all about the functional OS.
Threats? lol.
OK.
Ill play the game.
Ill try this line and see what i get. I used Hardy and the nvidia driver seemed to work fine.

ad_267
November 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Threats? lol.
OK.
Ill play the game.
Ill try this line and see what i get. I used Hardy and the nvidia driver seemed to work fine.

Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 first.

fooman
November 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM
could also boot into recovery mode and give the xfix option a try.

joker0n3
November 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Threats? lol.
OK.
Ill play the game.

Line didnt work. I could try recovery now but im too lazy i have to keep restarting my comp to use my Gimpdows to check forums. Ill try it later. And i have looked online, seems this is my best resource so far for finding answers. If anything else ill just reinstall Hardy; never had any probs with it and it doesnt seem like 8.10 is a major upgrade anyhow. But thanks to all. :)

cariboo
November 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Trolling doesn't help

I got my XP install cd on standby.

If you aren't willing to do as the previous posters have suggested, maybe Linux is not for you. Have a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315

May be this will help you decide if you've got what it takes to use Linux.

Jim

handydan918
November 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Intrepid installed fine. Downloaded all the updates and necessary drivers and whatnot. Then when i went to install the Nvidia driver and restart my comp i get stuck in text mode and cant get back to the os GUI. PLOX HALP! I got my XP install cd on standby.

I feel your pain.
In the future, please direct any hateful comments to http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Maybe they will Open theit drivers so that Ubu can include them in the (Debian!) kernel.

Thank you for your support.
:popcorn:

bodhi.zazen
November 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I am sorry you are having problems with your nvidia card, yes this is frustrating, and yes we will help.

Would you mind providing some additional information ?

What nvidia card are you using ?

When you say you installed the nvidia drivers , what did you do exactly ?