PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on a USB Flash Disk

unseend
November 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hey guys!

I have a little question. I need to install Ubuntu on a pc which does not have a CD-ROM device. So, I need to make Ubuntu to be able to be installed from this USB Flash disk. I've done some little search and most of the other posts were about to install Ubuntu on the USB Flash, but I want just to burn the .iso there in order to be just like the CD. What have I to do?

Thanks,
unseend

dpantell
November 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Hi,

If you have another computer that has a cdrom drive (or if you already have 8.10 installed) follow these instructions:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/01/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/

You don't have to use the persistence feature if your not going to be using the USB device as a portable install (select discarded on shutdown).

cariboo
November 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
If you are running Intrepid there is a builtin usb boot disk creator. Go to System-->Administration-->Create a USB Boot Disk.

You don't need to burn a CDrom you can use an iso of the distribution you want to install.

Jim

unseend
November 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I am running 7.10 :-/

C.S.Cameron
November 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Unetbootin will install the iso to flash drive, you can then use the flash drive to install Ubuntu to a computer without CD.
If you install usb-creator it will do the same as Unetbootin.

gnomeInWonderland
November 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM
plug your flash disk on your PC
cat /etc/mtab to see which device your USB flash disk is
unmount your flash disk, but let it plugged
enter this command : dd if=<your_iso> of=<flash disk device> bs=1024
now you can boot on your flash disk

:)

null_pointer_us
November 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Unetbootin will install the iso to flash drive, you can then use the flash drive to install Ubuntu to a computer without CD.
If you install usb-creator it will do the same as Unetbootin.

I second this. Here's a guide for Unetbootin:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Pretty slick, IMO. :)

unseend
November 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Guys thanks! Hence I installed 8.10 I run now the built-in app for the LiveUSB. :D:D Thanks once again!