PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I removed 'graphical login', now I can't get it back

BetterSense
November 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I wanted to bypass the gnome graphical 'enter your password' screen on my laptop cause I thought it would be faster and in case I just wanted to boot and cp a file or listen to an mp3 I wouldn't have to start x.

I went to System->Administration->Services and I unchecked 'graphical login'. But when I rebooted and startx'd, my user switcher applet is gone! So I can't have a guest account. So I guess, to get my user switcher and guest account back, I want the graphical login back, but there is no way to get it back because both the Services window AND the 'Unlock' button are greyed out. So there is no way I can unlock the Services dialog anymore. I tried using sudo and gksudo to launch services-admin, and it prompts me for my password when I do that, but when the dialog launches it's still grey and the unlock button is still grey. Is this a bug?

My computer works and has no graphical welcome screen thing, but I no longer have a user switcher applet or guest account and I would like those things back.

fooman
November 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
when you reboot....instead of startx, try:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

see if that gets you to a normal login screen w/user switcher.

bodhi.zazen
November 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
How did you start X ?

exit your x session , back to the command line. Then start GDM

hictio
November 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Also, try this on a Terminal:

sudo update-rc.d -f gdm defaults

That's how I re-enable gdm, if I need it for something, I usually turn it off, and setup a high resolution console as well (http://oesediez.blogspot.com/2008/09/ubuntu-high-resolution-console.html).

BetterSense
November 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
when you reboot....instead of startx, try:

see if that gets you to a normal login screen w/user switcher.

The user switcher I'm talking about isn't really part of the login screen, but an applet on the gnome 'panel'. I don't know why getting rid of GDM killed it, but it must be part of gdm somehow. Is there any way I can get it back? I don't want a graphical login, but I do want my fast-user-switcher-applet.

fooman
November 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
after you login with

right click on the panel and choose "add to panel". scroll down to "user switcher" highlight it and click the add button.

does that work?

BetterSense
November 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, now I have the guest session ability back. But am I forced to have the graphical login in order to have it? I shall try re-disabling graphical login, and try to add it to the panel then.

EDIT: I tried to add it to the panel with 'graphical login' unchecked, but it instantly warns me that it dies unexpectedly and asks if I want to reload it. Reloading it does nothing as it simply dies again. Very strange to me that I can't have one without the other.

bodhi.zazen
November 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
GDM is more then the graphical log in screen and switch user is a function of gdm.

So yes, if you want to use this feature you need to start GDM.

BetterSense
November 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I guess I'll have to do without the user-switcher then. I really enjoy not having a graphical login because it's faster.