PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Windows after Ubuntu 8.10 install

Skyseast
November 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I need some help. I have been running windows since it came out. Well, not being that computer smart, I allowed Windows to update to SP3...big mistake. I'm not sure what went wrong but my computer shut down. When I restared, :-xI got the blue screen of death. I could not get into my computer. I had a Ubuntu 8.10 live cd and I
installed it. I enjoy it but I have a problem, I need to run windows so I can manage my fiances with Quicken 2008 Deluxe. Is there anyway to install windows without uninstalling Ubuntu?

Chunky Dunk
November 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
The short answer is not likely. Windows generally doesn't play nice with Linux, so you have to install it first, then adjust your partitions and install Ubuntu. At least thats how it is for me since I got an HP complete with recovery discs. The actual, straight from Microsoft, Windows install discs might work differently, though. I don't have those, but maybe someone who does could shed some light on that...

CntdwnToExtn
November 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM
have you tried booting into safe mode first with windows before you remove it.
if you can, uninstall sp3 from there
as well going to the microsoft site, searching for 'windows didn't start after service pack 3 install' finds scenarios on their technet forum.
some have found themselves into the infinite boot loop, but resolved it.

as for installing windows with ubuntu already...
what about using 'gparted' to partition a new space, then installing windows to it.