PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox is slow as bananas...

fignig
November 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
i dont' know why but when i upgraded to 8.10, everything is slower. especially firefox, it's slow as shiz. anyone know anything to alleviate this problem?

DrDagostino1
November 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I recently upgraded to 8.10 also but didn't like it because everything was too glitchy and buggy. I also had the problem of a few applications being very slow. I downgradded(reinstalled) to Hardy again and everything was fixed! I think the problem is 8.10 and I am going to wait a little while to upgrade again so that some of the bugs get fixed. There might also be another fix for this but I can't remember it. You had to delete some file and firefox would get faster but I don't know now.

metallicamike
November 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
i think it was cert8.db in ur profile folder

fignig
November 9th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I recently upgraded to 8.10 also but didn't like it because everything was too glitchy and buggy. I also had the problem of a few applications being very slow. I downgradded(reinstalled) to Hardy again and everything was fixed! I think the problem is 8.10 and I am going to wait a little while to upgrade again so that some of the bugs get fixed. There might also be another fix for this but I can't remember it. You had to delete some file and firefox would get faster but I don't know now.

is there a way of reinstalling w/o losing the files i currently have now? b/c i don't want to have to d/l everything again. b/c i don't have another way to save them.

fignig
November 9th, 2008, 05:20 AM
i think it was cert8.db in ur profile folder

so i'm just suppose to delete this file?

DrDagostino1
November 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
There is no actual way to downgrade without losing everything. The way I did it was to backup my home user folder and reinstall, wiping out everything. If you do this all your data will be lost except your the stuff in your home folder. That means all your settings and programs will be lost.

I wouldn't recommend this method if you have a lot of stuff installed or if you don't have a few hours to manually reinstall all your programs.

But if you really can't live with firefox being that slow, then you could reinstall. But if you can live with it for a little while, there may be an update that fixes it. Also, someone else here might know of a better way.

All I know is that when I did this EVERYTHING seemed to run better and faster. All the bugs and glitches I had went away.

fignig
November 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
There is no actual way to downgrade without losing everything. The way I did it was to backup my home user folder and reinstall, wiping out everything. If you do this all your data will be lost except your the stuff in your home folder. That means all your settings and programs will be lost.

I wouldn't recommend this method if you have a lot of stuff installed or if you don't have a few hours to manually reinstall all your programs.

But if you really can't live with firefox being that slow, then you could reinstall. But if you can live with it for a little while, there may be an update that fixes it. Also, someone else here might know of a better way.

All I know is that when I did this EVERYTHING seemed to run better and faster. All the bugs and glitches I had went away.

well the reason i upgraded was to fix the flash problem which hasn't been fixed yet. and it seems like it won't be fixed any time soon. but i do have a lot of programs, and files that go over 50gb. it's gonna be hard to save everything, and i don't think that's possible w/o having an external hd which i don't have. so i guess i'm gonna have to live w/ these problems, and it makes me sad.

DrDagostino1
November 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
That is a lot of stuff and I'm guessing in about a month there should be enough fixes out to run smoothly.
Also, what is wrong with your flash player? I had a problem with my flash player as well and found that installing the lastest flash player fixed it.

Crafty Kisses
November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It could be a RAM issue, while Firefox is running, run the following command in the Terminal:

Then you can see how much resources Firefox is taking up.

kansasnoob
November 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I had the same problem just today. What I had to do was delete the .mozilla folder in Home > Show Hidden, but you'll lose everything in Firefox doing that!

The only thing I wanted to keep was my bookmarks so I found the .mozilla by going to Home > View > Show Hidden > .mozilla > firefox > 8random#.default > places.sqlite. Then I right clicked the places.sqlite and "pasted" it to desktop so I could replace it after removing .mozilla and restarting Firefox which then creates a new .mozilla. Yes that means reconfiguring everything in Firefox!

Note: 8random#.default is just that 8 random figures followed by .default. The 8 random figures are always different!

I must be out for a while, maybe a few hours, and this may also dump your Thunderbird mail if that's what you use, not sure, so you should look into that!

I also had to reinstall flash and restricted extras by:

sudo apt-get --purge remove adobe-flashplugin

Then:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-restricted-extras

Then restarting Firefox by going to File > Quit, and then starting Firefox.

If any of this is less than perfectly clear please wait for additional help!

fignig
November 10th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I had the same problem just today. What I had to do was delete the .mozilla folder in Home > Show Hidden, but you'll lose everything in Firefox doing that!

The only thing I wanted to keep was my bookmarks so I found the .mozilla by going to Home > View > Show Hidden > .mozilla > firefox > 8random#.default > places.sqlite. Then I right clicked the places.sqlite and "pasted" it to desktop so I could replace it after removing .mozilla and restarting Firefox which then creates a new .mozilla. Yes that means reconfiguring everything in Firefox!

Note: 8random#.default is just that 8 random figures followed by .default. The 8 random figures are always different!

I must be out for a while, maybe a few hours, and this may also dump your Thunderbird mail if that's what you use, not sure, so you should look into that!

Then:

lose everything u mean like all of my bookmarks, and everything i've saved? and all of my private data? anyway to save any of these?

fignig
November 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
It could be a RAM issue, while Firefox is running, run the following command in the Terminal:

Then you can see how much resources Firefox is taking up.

firefox is using like 1% of my cpu and like 13% of my memory. this surely shouldn't be bogging down firefox like this. b/c it's running noticeably slower than usually. aka, slower than 8.04

fignig
November 10th, 2008, 02:24 AM

Then:

btw Home > View > Show Hidden > .mozilla > firefox > 8random#.default > places.sqlite. not sure where the .mozilla folder is. b/c after home, is my username folder.

metallicamike
November 10th, 2008, 11:05 PM
hit control+h, or go into view and hit show hidden files, then youll see it

metallicamike
November 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
so i'm just suppose to delete this file?

u could, it didnt seem to screw anything up when i tried it myself....

fignig
November 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM
u could, it didnt seem to screw anything up when i tried it myself....

okay i'm gonna try this, wish me luck. i'll post back my results, and thanks if necessary

sdowney717
November 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
try this
install the epiphany web browser.
It is a little faster than firefox anyway and you might notice a big speed improvement if firefox is acting weird.

I dont notice any issues with epiphany and flash works with it.

fignig
November 13th, 2008, 02:31 AM
try this
install the epiphany web browser.
It is a little faster than firefox anyway and you might notice a big speed improvement if firefox is acting weird.

I dont notice any issues with epiphany and flash works with it.

wtf i'm reporting you, wtf was that shiz? it just opened up this game screen....is this some kinda messed up joke?

sdowney717
November 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
change your attitude or you wont get as far in life as you might have.

http://projects.gnome.org/epiphany/

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/ubuntu_applications/epiphany

mkvnmtr
November 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
He said Epiphany Browser. Not the game. You installed the wrong thing. Look in Add/remove under internet. He is right the browser is much faster than Firefox on some things.

beercz
November 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
i dont' know why but when i upgraded to 8.10, everything is slower. especially firefox, it's slow as shiz. anyone know anything to alleviate this problem?
OK, try this:

Close Firefox.

Backup your /home/<username>/.mozilla directory!!

Click Places->Search for files

Browse for the above .mozilla directory (right click on the dialog box and turn on the 'Show Hidden Files' checkbox).

In the 'Name contains' box, enter:

places.sqlite

And then click the Find button.

Move all found files to the wastebasket.

Close the find utility and restart firefox.

Good luck.

tipiglen
November 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Close Firefox.

Backup your /home/<username>/.mozilla directory!!
Move all found files to the wastebasket.

Close the find utility and restart firefox.

Thanks for that. I hope it solves my serious slowdown and manic i/o problem..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=978842

Anyway, I was frightened it might blow my extensive bookmarks away, but they're all there and there's a brand new places.sqlite file, but not the 250Mbyte monster that's quietly sitting in the backup...History now has today and 'older than 6 days', but no yesterday....

Just what is in "places" anyway?

Thanks again, and specially if it solves the slowdowns..

Patient ed