PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I added the KDE session to Ubuntu 8.04, now I don't want it.

crimlaw
November 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I thought I would try Kubuntu the other night, found a way to add it as a desktop session, it took up like 700 mb, and I don't like it. How do I delete that session and get my memory back?

Thanks!!!

aysiu
November 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I thought I would try Kubuntu the other night, found a way to add it as a desktop session, it took up like 700 mb, and I don't like it. How do I delete that session and get my memory back?

Thanks!!!
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnomehardy

vanadium
November 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
You are not loosing memory, it won't affect the performance in any way. You are only using disk space (if that is what you mean with "memory").

You cannot, in one step, remove all you installed when installing kubuntu-desktop. You will need to remove all KDE related programs individually in order to reclaim the disk space they use. Do not bother too much about it: 700 MBytes is nothing on a modern hard disk.

crimlaw
November 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I figured it was probably going to be more trouble getting rid of it than it was to install it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will just leave it alone. Maybe some day I will give it another shot.

aysiu
November 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
You cannot, in one step, remove all you installed when installing kubuntu-desktop. You will need to remove all KDE related programs individually in order to reclaim the disk space they use. Actually, you can. See the link I posted above.
Do not bother too much about it: 700 MBytes is nothing on a modern hard disk. I do agree with you on this point, though. Unless you have a 4 GB or 8 GB SSD, 700 MB is nothing.

vanadium
November 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the link, aysiu. It is again the excellent site of psychocats that provides the trick here. This thread should be marked solved indeed.

OrangeCrate
November 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
@aysiu

Regarding adding KDE to Gnome, does this warning still apply with Intrepid, or have some of these issues been worked out?

Warning: having KDE and Gnome together means you'll have cluttered application menus full of KDE applications and Gnome applications. You may also run into some other cosmetic problems (the KDE QT look taking over some of your Gnome themes, a hidden file on your desktop that keeps appearing in Gnome after you've just logged out of KDE). One of the most common problems is the new desktop environment "taking over" the boot splash screen.

If it's a cleaner install than what you outline, I'd like to try KDE. If not, it's no great shakes. I'd probably think about a dual boot with Ubuntu somewhere down the line...

aysiu
November 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know, honestly. I haven't had the chance to test it out. The issues are minor if they still exist.

OrangeCrate
November 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know, honestly. I haven't had the chance to test it out. The issues are minor if they still exist.

It's a lazy Sunday here, so I think I'll try it out. Thanks.

:)

OrangeCrate
November 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Since you haven't had a chance to test if your "warnings" are still valid, here's some feedback...

I went ahead and installed it using your instructions. After playing around with it for a while, I don't think it's for me. So, I uninstalled it also using your instructions to get to a "pure" Gnome.

Everything installed without a hitch, and uninstalled without a hitch. The menus were busy, but clean. There's a bit of stuff to autoremove, and then quite a bit to get rid of as residual configuration after uninstalling, but everything went fine.

No problems here, though other user's mileage might vary.

aysiu
November 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I actually did spend some time today doing some minor testing on 8.10 and got the same results you did. And no lingering .desktop file on the desktop when switching back and forth between KDE and Gnome either. Glad they fixed that.