PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for Online Photo Album

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been working on a project which presents important documents in an attractive online eBook format. Most recently I have been looking at extending what my book can be used for. I was thinking in terms of photo albums.

This (http://www.digi-vu.co.uk/books/11/dvbook/DVPHOTOBOOK/) is what I have so far and would really value any kind of feedback.

P.S. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, but I really wasn't sure where would be appropriate.

koenn
November 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
nice.
beautiful photos, good presentation.

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
nice.
beautiful photos, good presentation.

Thank you. I don't suppose you can think of anything that's missing in terms of functionality?

Dixon Bainbridge
November 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Nice work.

I would do a version that is just static and more traditional, for people that might be annoyed by the way your site displays photo's with the page turn thing. Personally, I like that, but alot of potential customers might not.

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Nice work.

I would do a version that is just static and more traditional, for people that might be annoyed by the way your site displays photo's with the page turn thing. Personally, I like that, but alot of potential customers might not.

Sorry, I am not sure I fully understand you. Do you mean that the photo's shouldn't be shown when the page is turning?

Thanks for the feedback!

Dixon Bainbridge
November 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I mean, just produce a static version, with thumbnails. So, on the homepage, have a choice for the user for animated or static. :D

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I mean, just produce a static version, with thumbnails. So, on the homepage, have a choice for the user for animated or static. :D

Oh right, thank you for clearing that up for me. Thats not a bad idea at all. I was actually thinking about building a thumbnail viewer into it aswel.

Thank you for taking some time out to provide feedback.

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The album metaphor is nice. However, I think the 'buy me' buttons are a bit obtrusive. They also ruin the appearance of the page. The zoom function is worthless to me since you practically can not see an image for all the lettering. Lastly, I suggest to consider a color for the background of the page which is a bit less saturated. Some of the pictures look pale or dirty against that red background. Also, the green which is initially shown and the red into which it changes both cause me slight visual disturbances.

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
The album metaphor is nice. However, I think the 'buy me' buttons are a bit obtrusive. They also ruin the appearance of the page. The zoom function is worthless to me since you practically can not see an image for all the lettering. Lastly, I suggest to consider a color for the background of the page which is a bit less saturated. Some of the pictures look pale or dirty against that red background. Also, the green which is initially shown and the red into which it changes both cause me slight visual disturbances.

I agree, the buy me buttons are a little obtrusive. The green colour you describe can be fixed. I must have missed it, it was supposed to be the same red :)

Your comments on the zoom are interesting. Does anyone else share this view? Is their too much lettering in the album?

Thanks for all the input.

Bölvaður
November 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Your comments on the zoom are interesting. Does anyone else share this view? Is their too much lettering in the album

No there is not too much letters (as in titles for the pictures). But you could have it like if you push the name of the picture it gives info on where it was taken, instead of writing it beneath the title.

This flash... thing.. could be very clean and nice, but I am not sure if I would want to watch pictures casually like this, this is perhaps too much "showoff", which may be acceptable and even a plus to some people.

About letters though...
When you zoom they are obscuring the picture too much, you dont need to have that many letters on the picture, but instead you can have them 100% visible, instead of having many that are kind of transparent.

Other than that, this is VERY GOOD. The pictures are astonishing :KS , with few exceptions. When you did the "sky mask" when you change the colours of the sky it begins to look as some things are glowing.

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
No there is not too much letters (as in titles for the pictures). But you could have it like if you push the name of the picture it gives info on where it was taken, instead of writing it beneath the title.

This flash... thing.. could be very clean and nice, but I am not sure if I would want to watch pictures casually like this, this is perhaps too much "showoff", which may be acceptable and even a plus to some people.

About letters though...
When you zoom they are obscuring the picture too much, you dont need to have that many letters on the picture, but instead you can have them 100% visible, instead of having many that are kind of transparent.

Other than that, this is VERY GOOD. The pictures are astonishing :KS , with few exceptions. When you did the "sky mask" when you change the colours of the sky it begins to look as some things are glowing.

Thank you for having a look. Nice idea about the information on the pictures. That is certainly something to think about. I thought my watermark maybe a little over the top. What about having a single larger watermark?

I shall pass everybody's praise onto my friend Nikolaus. He'll be delighted.

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Did you change the page format? The pages are so wide that I can not see all of a page on my screen. There being no sideways scrolling, that makes using the site a bit cumbersome for people with screens with a width of just 1024 px.

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Did you change the page format? The pages are so wide that I can not see all of a page on my screen. There being no sideways scrolling, that makes using the site a bit cumbersome for people with screens with a width of just 1024 px.

That is strange, as I haven't changed it at all. Not sure what's going on. Which browser are you using? Anybody else having this problem?

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Firefox 3.0.3. Attached pic shows all of my screen.

Bödvar
November 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Your site needs Adobe Flash player to work - maybe you should install it?

s.fox
November 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Firefox 3.0.3. Attached pic shows all of my screen.

That is very strange, this is the first time anything like thats happened.

Your site needs Adobe Flash player to work - maybe you should install it?

If you do not have flash installed you should see a link to the installer.

Thanks for everyone having a look

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The browser says I have Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124. The page transitions (simulation of turned pages) is visible and all controls appear to be working. It's just that the left and right borders of the pages are clipped.

s.fox
November 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Aghhh, I think I may know whats going on. I think its not rendering correctly on non-wide screen monitors. I did a test at my girfriends flat and it did clip the pages.

Is this happening for people with non wide screen monitors?

Once again, I can't thank the community enough for the interest