PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu for Extreme Low-End PC?

Bookworm99
November 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

Right now, I have a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173 laptop, which has an Intel Celeron 1.80 GHZ processor, 256MB of RAM, a VERY slow CD/DVD drive, but a working wireless card.

I have currently installed Puppy Linux on it, and while I like it very much, I would be much happier with Ubuntu, which I am already familiar with and which I have found to be more compatiable. I can tell you that linux Mint, which I attempted to install before installing Puppy and which is an Ubuntu 6 (I believe?) variant, absolutely laughed at, chewed and spit-out the very idea of the machine's pitiful hardware - it took almost an hour for it to boot then crash.

Puppy, on the other hand, runs incredibly fast - almost comparable to my current machine, which is much better (a Macbook Pro, 2.33GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, etc).

I'd like to know if there's a version of Ubuntu that'd work on here - I've heard XUbuntu might help, but I'm not entirely sure. Suggestions?

Chunky Dunk
November 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
The recommended minimum requirements for Ubuntu (with Gnome) are:
* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 8 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
* Sound card
* A network or Internet connection

That would leave you short on memory, but fine on the other points. While you might get Ubuntu to run on the specs you list, it would be kinda sluggish. Xubuntu on the other hand only needs 192 MB of RAM.