PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Installation Freezes at 15%

cruising
November 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. After getting the CD from Canonical, I was able to do a complete smooth installation of Ubuntu 8.04. But while trying to do the same thing on a Toshiba TECRA 8100, PIII, 256MB RAM, 12GB HD, 881MHZ, the installation freezes at 15% (detecting file systems) and I have to press the power button to exit that state and start all over again, only to get to the same point AGAIN! I have done this about ten times, over a period of about six days and no luck still. I've looked around for a simple, straight-forward solution fit for a newbie like myself, but I couldn't find any. One thing I noticed is that it says, (just before the installation begins) that the BIOS fails cut ... something like that; but as I understand it, it is complaining that the BIOS is too old and says acpi=force is required. I have used that command too ... but still no luck.

Your help is greatly appreciated and please respond ASAP.

Thanks,

Cruising :o

oilchangeguy
November 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. After getting the CD from Canonical, I was able to do a complete smooth installation of Ubuntu 8.04. But while trying to do the same thing on a Toshiba TECRA 8100, PIII, 256MB RAM, 12GB HD, 881MHZ, the installation freezes at 15% (detecting file systems) and I have to press the power button to exit that state and start all over again, only to get to the same point AGAIN! I have done this about ten times, over a period of about six days and no luck still. I've looked around for a simple, straight-forward solution fit for a newbie like myself, but I couldn't find any. One thing I noticed is that it says, (just before the installation begins) that the BIOS fails cut ... something like that; but as I understand it, it is complaining that the BIOS is too old and says acpi=force is required. I have used that command too ... but still no luck.

Your help is greatly appreciated and please respond ASAP.

Thanks,

Cruising :o

if nothing else, your computer does not have the ram to run the live cd. it requires at least 384mb of ram.

SaltySurfer
November 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
well, don't sweat the ACPI right now, it has nothing to do with installing the OS. True your Toshiba is low on RAM, have you tried mounting a remote source and doing a network install instead of running the live CD?

Cresho
November 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Ram!!!!

cruising
November 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ram!!!!
So, Cresh, RAM, huh? Man, I thought I would be okay with the 256MB. That's what is required to INSTALL, ain't it? To run the Live CD, I know, takes 384MB. And ... you are telling me, my luck is bent on getting a bigger RAM?! Please, please, please, if there is anything else I should, could, would, must do BEFORE spening Ca$h on another RAM chip?@!$^&(&%!

You guys are great! Giving me a response in 24 minutes! Here I am all the way in East Africa and I get a beautiful speedy response in just minutes! Thanks for taking the time and give me one last chance to stand trial before the FINAL VERDICT!

Thanks,

Cruising:(

cruising
November 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
well, don't sweat the ACPI right now, it has nothing to do with installing the OS. True your Toshiba is low on RAM, have you tried mounting a remote source and doing a network install instead of running the live CD?

Monsieur, how exactly am I to do that: the remote thing? I have absolutely no idea! And a laptop with no OS, can it ever be networked? And is copying the whole contents of the CD into another laptop I have and just plugging a crossed RJ45 cable, choosing network boot and ... I don't know! Does that work? Please Xplain it i deeeaattaaiill!

Thanks SaltySurfer!

Cruising

EDIT: If you are in a similar situation, you should consider using Xubuntu (installed perfectly on my low-end Toshiba)! And please read carefully the requirements for installing and running Ubuntu on different specs.

Here's a VERY interesting and DETAILED page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Enjoy your Ubuntu experience!! :)