PDA

View Full Version : Any Star Trek freak around, I have some questions :-P

legolas_w
November 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi there
If you are an Star Trek fan or freak you are the one who can help me.
It happend that I recieved a complete set of Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
It is an amazing TV series, I performed some search and I found that there are more than just this TV series around Start Trek.
I would be gratful if you could provide me with following information:

-What is order of these series, for example which one of Enterprise, Voyger, DS9 is the first in the line of stories and which one is the last?
- Is there any other series in addition to DS9, enterprise and Voyger?
- I am in Season 3 of DS9, I want to know whether in DS9 any full scale war starts between Federation and Dominion?
- Which one of these series is the best?

Thank you.

lisati
November 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
In the beginning, they made "Star Trek", also known as "Star Trek: The Original Series" (mutters "Denny Crane" quietly to himself). Then came "Star Trek: The Next Generation". Deep Space Nine, followed, and then Voyager. Along the way there have been a number of movies (I haven't seen them all, but have a copy of "First Contact".

EDIT: I remembered that there's an animated series, based on the original series, that fits in there somewhere.....I've never seen it.

EDIT 2: I forgot about Enterprise. Not sure when it was made compared to the others, but on the "Star Trek" timeline it's somewhere before the original series.

eternalnewbee
November 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM
1. Star Trek TOS ( the original series, with Mr. Spock [my favourite])
2. Star Trek TNG ( The Next Generation, with captain Picard)
3. Star Trek DS9 ( Deep Space 9, with captain/commander Cisco
Star Trek Voyager, with captain Janeway (Voyager started while DS9 was still running, although I can't remember which season)
4. Enterprise.
Live Long & Prosper.:-s

wildman4god
November 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Star Trek enterprise is almost the first one, just after first incounter. In enterprise the humans have just developed their first warp 5 star ship allowing interstellar travel in a more feasible amount of time. Its the newest seris made so it actually look realistic but like i said it is after first incouner. Anywho for all the startrek info you could ever want go to startrek.com i think if thats not it google star trek and you'll find the offical fan site.

speedwell68
November 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The movies are...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (follows on from the original series episode 'Space Seed'.)
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek VII: Generations
Star Trek VIII: First Contact
Star Trek IX: Insurrection
Star Trek X: Nemesis

Gorgoth
November 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Timeline-wise, arent the ST series something like Enterprise -> TOS -> DS9 with Voyager falling in about halfway through DS9?

bp1509
November 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
d

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Start with TOS if you want to watch the show chronologically as Enterprise SUCKS, then move on to TNG and Voyager

Ocxic
November 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
yes the federation and the dominion conflict escalates to a full scale war. they even loose DS9 for a short while

init1
November 8th, 2008, 11:07 PM
The movies are...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (follows on from the original series episode 'Space Seed'.)
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek VII: Generations
Star Trek VIII: First Contact
Star Trek IX: Insurrection
Star Trek X: Nemesis
I hear they're making another

mdsmedia
November 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Start with TOS if you want to watch the show chronologically as Enterprise SUCKS, then move on to TNG and VoyagerWhen I first watched Enterprise, when it was first released on TV in Australia, it was cut and cancelled, and I could understand why. I thought it sucked too.

Then it came back on from start to finish and I'm still watching it and seeing new episodes.

It doesn't have quite the sophistication of Next Gen and Voyager but it has its own qualities, I think. It feels more realistic than the earlier series.

In chronological order, Enterprise is the earliest, I think, then the original (including the movies), then Next Generation and Deep Space Nine with Voyager coming after Next Gen but not sure where DS9 fits in with Voyager, but after Next Gen.

Enterprise is the later made series but the earliest in terms of the "history" of space travel.

At one stage I liked Voyager the best of the lot, then I liked Next Gen best. I loved the movies, more than the original series. Kirk had far more character in the movies than in the original.

Picard is probably the best of the captains, but I like Sisco (Cisco?) in DS9, and at times I like Janeway but at other times she annoys me. Scott Bakula grows on you as Capt. Archer in Enterprise. It's hard to shake his Quantum Leap character at first.

Roxanne Dawson, Tores in Voyager, is my favorite of the women. T'paul in Enterprise is the weaker of all the Vulcan characters, but then she puts in some nice performances too.

legolas_w
November 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
yes the federation and the dominion conflict escalates to a full scale war. they even loose DS9 for a short while

Hi
Do you remember in which season the full scale war happens?

Thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hi
Do you remember in which season the full scale war happens?

Thanks.

seasons 5,6.7 are where the heavy spots of the dominion war hit though it officially starts in season 3.
But I feel the best battles happened in season 5, and some in 4

jimi_hendrix
November 9th, 2008, 01:45 AM
- Which one of these series is the best?

Thank you.

the original (you gotta love how every alien looks like a painted human, the phaser graphics look terrible and the communication device looks like my old cell phone but it is still awesome)

galenorama
November 9th, 2008, 02:18 AM
My favorite, by far, is The Next Generation.
The Wrath of Khan, and First Contact are both also great.
Be sure to check out Memory Alpha, the Star Trek wiki:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

hanzomon4
November 9th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Dude if you want war skip to season 4 and watch on through

Corfy
November 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Production Order:

series Star Trek (The Original Series): 1966-1969
series Star Trek The Animated Series: 1973-1974
movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture: 1979
movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: 1982
movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: 1984
movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home: 1986
series Star Trek: The Next Generation: 1987-1994
movie Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: 1989
movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: 1991
series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: 1993-1999
movie Star Trek: Generations: 1994
series Star Trek: Voyager: 1995-2001
movie Star Trek: First Contact: 1996
movie Star Trek: Insurrection: 1998
series Star Trek: Enterprise: 2001-2005
movie Star Trek: Nemesis: 2002
movie Star Trek: 2009

From a timeline perspective:

series Star Trek: Enterprise: 2151-2155
series Star Trek (the original series): 2265-2269
movie Star Trek: The Animated Series: 2269-2270
movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture: mid-2270s
movie Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: 2285
movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: 2285
movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home: 2286 and 1986
movie Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: 2287
movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: 2293
series Star Trek: The Next Generation: 2364-2371
series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: 2369-2375
movie Star Trek: Generations: 2371 and 2293
series Star Trek: Voyager: 2371-2378
movie Star Trek: First Contact: 2373 and 2063
movie Star Trek: Insurrection: 2375
movie Star Trek: Nemesis: 2379

The upcoming "Star Trek" movie will span several timeframes, although not many details are yet known about it yet.

SunnyRabbiera
November 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
the original (you gotta love how every alien looks like a painted human, the phaser graphics look terrible and the communication device looks like my old cell phone but it is still awesome)

Yeh but for its time Star trek did the best it could, actually I rather liked the phaser effect in the original series...
actually the phaser effect never really changed that much since the original series, it just got more high tech.

lisati
November 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM

This is touched on (indirectly) in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" which takes some of the DS9 crew back in time to the time of TOS. Worf is asked about the appearence of some of the Klingons and brushes it aside with a comment about it being a long story that is not talked about with off-worlders.

etnlIcarus
November 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Can't stand TOS. If you're coming into the ST fold because of one of the modern seris like DS9, there's a good chance you'll dislike the original series as well.

Also, shame on all the Enterprise haters. Those last 24 episodes of Enterprise were better than anything else which has ever borne the Star Trek name.

3rdalbum
November 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I hear they're making another (movie)

Did you ever see any of the episodes of The Next Generation where there were a bunch of Klingons standing around a circle, and one disgraced Klingon in the centre? All the Klingons around the circle would cross their arms and turn away from the disgraced one, to show that they did not find him worthy of recognising.

Imagine that the Klingons are the real Star Trek fans, and the disgraced one in the middle is the new Star Trek movie that is being made.

When the word "Reimagined" gets bandied around in relation to a remake of an old movie or TV show, I get a chill in my bones. Nothing that has ever been "reimagined" has ever been any good at all, IMHO, and none of the "reimagined" shows have been popular with the original's fans.

etnlIcarus
November 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Nothing that has ever been "reimagined" has ever been any good at all, IMHO, and none of the "reimagined" shows have been popular with the original's fans. Obvious exception: Battlestar.

mips
November 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Also, shame on all the Enterprise haters. Those last 24 episodes of Enterprise were better than anything else which has ever borne the Star Trek name.

I also liked Enterprise the most out of the lot. Second best would be TNG for me.

Just wish we could get something like Babylon 5 again.

Corfy
November 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
This is touched on (indirectly) in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" which takes some of the DS9 crew back in time to the time of TOS. Worf is asked about the appearence of some of the Klingons and brushes it aside with a comment about it being a long story that is not talked about with off-worlders.

It was also touched upon in an episode (maybe more? I don't remember exactly) of Enterprise.

legolas_w
November 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
In DS9 Season 4,
ODO has been judge by the Great Link and changed to a Human :-O
I am just wondering whether he will return to change ling body again or he will stay human until he dies?

Thanks

etnlIcarus
November 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
*Spoiler*

He finds another changling which was sent out by his people to explore the universe. However, this one never figured out how to change shape and is almost dead. Odo teached it how to shape-shift before it died and allowed itself to be absorbed into Odo, turning him into a changling again.

...I really shouldn't know that. :(

Kazade
November 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM

I think that episode just mentions how the Klingons changed appearance. It was the TNG episode The Chase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(TNG_episode)) that explains why everyone is humanoid. :)

Edit: Oops you mean the *original* series, yeh I guess they didn't have as good latex then ;)

conundrumx
November 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Can't stand TOS. If you're coming into the ST fold because of one of the modern seris like DS9, there's a good chance you'll dislike the original series as well.

Except, the finale of Enterprise might as well have been an episode from TNG. :rolleyes: If you want to see some really good Star Trek watch the least season of Voyager, or the finale of TNG.

Voyager is my favorite, followed closely by TNG. DS9 and Enterprise are tied for least liked. Soctt Baklula should have stuck with Al, Quantum Leap was a great show. ;)

Also, a warning: in Voyager Janeway has a some advice about trying to figure out temporal paradoxes: don't. I suggest you take it!

Kazade
November 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Voyager was my favourite too. The finale was awesome, it had everything! Why they don't make a Voyager movie is beyond me.

TwiceOver
November 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Voyager was also my favorite, but it really didn't get going until they let Janeway have some balls somewhere around season 2.

Couldn't really get into TOS. TNG was also good but the really solid episodes were few and far between. DS9... Well... It is a space station, not a whole lot of exploring going on. Couldn't get past Odo and Dax.

I welcome a new Star Trek series. But I doubt we'll see one any time soon.

BunnyGirlDoom
November 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Voyager was also my favorite, but it really didn't get going until they let Janeway have some balls somewhere around season 2.

Couldn't really get into TOS. TNG was also good but the really solid episodes were few and far between. DS9... Well... It is a space station, not a whole lot of exploring going on. Couldn't get past Odo and Dax.

I welcome a new Star Trek series. But I doubt we'll see one any time soon.

I know some of you will disagree but I never considered DS9, Voyager or Enterprise as valid Star Trek universe ventures. Kind of like how Highlander 2 & 3 isn't considered by many to be valid. for me it is strictly TOS and TNG, the films (even though many of them were lacking) and some of the animated series (I'm sorta kidding about the animated series but I have some of them on VHS, so...)

TOS

Star Trek The Motion Picture
Star Trek The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek The Search for Spock
Star Trek The Voyage Home
Star Trek The Undiscovered Country (Christopher Plummer!)

TNG Series

Star Trek Generations
Star Trek First Contact

*spoilers - figured I should add that in case someone would rather not know* - Those would be my chosen order, skipping a couple of TOS films and TNG films (I have Motion Picture in there just because it's the return of the crew after the 5 year mission portrayed in TOS. Also, Generations has kind of a weak storyline, but kirk dies and I always cry at that part. I also cry when Spock is in the chamber at the end of Wrath and has that exchange with kirk, and then shortly thereafter when Kirk is speaking at Spock's funeral.

legolas_w
November 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
*Spoiler*

He finds another changling which was sent out by his people to explore the universe. However, this one never figured out how to change shape and is almost dead. Odo teached it how to shape-shift before it died and allowed itself to be absorbed into Odo, turning him into a changling again.

...I really shouldn't know that. :(

Would you please let me know in which season this event happens if you remember?

Also, when will Federation and Dominion war starts, is it in Season 5

Thanks

puppy
November 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
In terms of Voyager, the 'Year of Hell' two-parter is very, very good - but again its a bit wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey (to paraphrase a certain doctor). Then of course there is 'Deadlock' where something gets doubled, 'Displaced' where people start disappearing, 'Message in a Bottle' which involves a Federation ship of spectacular design, 'Living Witness' where you get to see what the Voyager crew would have been like as nazis, 'Hope and Fear' involving a deceit of monumental proportions and another unique 'Federation' ship, 'Timeless' another timey-wimey episode, 'Bride of Chaotica' fun if you're into old Flash Gordon, 'Relativity' yet another timey-wimey episode with a fantastic ship, and my absolute favourite episode "The Thaw" where a very, very, very scary Janeway conquers fear itself... do you like clowns??

DS9 is still my favourite though - except where it involves Jake or Nog of course - irritating little b*****ds :\

etnlIcarus
November 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Would you please let me know in which season this event happens if you remember?

Also, when will Federation and Dominion war starts, is it in Season 5

Thanks

No idea. It's bad enough that I could even answer your first question.

Also, I agree with the previous poster: Voyager's strength was in it's multi-part episodes (Scorpion, Year of Hell, Equinox, etc). Plus Voyager had some of the best individual stories of any ST series or film. However, the product as a whole (especially if your include the first few lacklustre seasons) was pretty mediocre.

legolas_w
November 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hi
I think The female change ling is in love with ODO, is it correct?
Thanks

etnlIcarus
November 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
It's Changling, they're not Asian.

And I wouldn't know exactly how to explain their relationship. She plays the role of a mother; a lover and a leader.

CJ Master
November 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Well I got a question for all the other trekkies out there.... WHAT'S THE POINT OF PHOTON TORPEDOES?!?!

On the TOS episode "The Changeling", they could withstand about 5 of these uber weapons that had the power of 75 photon torpedoes each...

Common do the math. That means you have to use 375 photon torpedo's to destroy a star ship... most don't even carry that many!!

etnlIcarus
November 25th, 2008, 06:09 AM
You're asking why the canon of a sci-fi series is inconsistent? Surely, that question is rhetorical.

CJ Master
November 27th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Well I still say they should bring back phasers on proximity blast. ;)

legolas_w
November 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hi

The biggest event in DS9 was war between two quadrant and the Changelings and Bajoran prophet

What is the biggest stuff in the Voyger, what is the main story in Voyger?

Thanks

etnlIcarus
November 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
The biggest continual plot arch in DS9 is the war between the Cardasians and Dominion and the Federation, Klingons and, later, the Romulans.

The one real overridding plot in Voyager is they got kicked to the wrong end of the galaxy and they're trying to make their 70 year journey back to Federation space as short as possible.

legolas_w
November 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hi
Does anyone here has some Star Trek Audio Book and is willing to share them with me?

Thanks.

dhughes
November 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Of all the series I think TNG was the best, the best writing for sure, at times I swear it seemed that Gene was trying to guide us shy geeks to be more open and social.

Star Trek was good but it's a completely different feel or reality than the ones that followed. It was more a Western with funny costumes although they did sneak in some important topics such as race relations and being a good person; i.e. humanity working together.

DS9 I could never get into, maybe because they were on a space station or the underlying religious undertones.

Voyager was my second favourite once you got past the Borg in high heels and skin tight uniform foolishness (although I'm not complaining, Jerry Ryan is hot!).

Enterprise was a good show but I feel they pushed it too fast, they should have 'dialed down' the technology and showed it as it developed. Maybe make the ships less advanced, it seemed way too advanced for the time but overall it was a good show, Jolene Blalock didn't hurt either.