PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Intrepid] Compiz causes >20s hang/delay after login

roots
November 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
hi there,

i upgraded to intrepid 2 days ago via fresh install, now on every login with compiz enabled i do get a >20s hang/delay before my desktop is ready. during that time, first only a black desktop-b/g is shown, loading-watch is ticking, then after 2..3s only my desktop wallpaper appears and the loading-watch is not ticking anymore. after another ~20s finally all other desktop elements appear and my desktop is responsive.

on hardy the whole login process took only approx. 3..5s (see my specs to explain this). i disabled compiz to check and found that metacity is available almost instantly after logon. in compiz i mainly use expo/viewport switcher without additional eye candy. but even if i reduce compiz settings to an absolute minimum the delay persists.

any help very much appreciated!

my sys/specs:

ubuntu hardy 8.10 (updates as of 11/07/08 )
compiz 1:0.7.8-0ubuntu4.1
nvidia 177.80 drivers

intel e8500
gforce 280gtx
4gb ddr2-800
2x ssd mtron 7535 raid0 @ areca 1210

paulluap_nl
November 8th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I have the same problem. Im using 64bit version.

after login, I hear my hard disk spinning, after 2 seconds my wallpaper shows en everything stops, total silence and nothing happends for like 10 seconds (i can still move my mouse), and then I hear my harddisk again and gnome shows up and eveything is ready.

Very weird an very annoying.

EDIT:
I did some research, I did a login and switched back to a terminal running top. The only process running in the login delay is compiz taking about 20% cpu whole time.

Also another weird bug: when i switched back to my graphical interface again, whole screen was white. But i could still click thinks, i had to login again to be able to use my desktop.

Is everyone using 64bit with this problem?

habtool
November 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Same delay here

Not a deal breaker though, as my machine runs for days before I reboot

astoltz
November 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's a common problem. I'm pretty sure there is a bug filed but I have not bothered to look it up. Another thread suggested setting desktop effects to "none" and then adding the command "compiz --replace" to your startup programs (in System -> Preferences -> Sessions). I've tried it and it does help - the desktop is available quickly like you'd expect (with metacity) but then there is a still short delay 'till compiz starts.

roots
November 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Another thread suggested setting desktop effects to "none" and then adding the command "compiz --replace" to your startup programs

thanks a lot - this does in fact improve the situation a bit, yet it is by far not as quick as it used to be with hardy.

i had already searched bugtracker and did not find any corresponding entry, so i filed one myself. those who experience the same issue i would ask to kindly confirm the bug in launchpad, hoping it will speed up dev response:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/295454

thanks.

habtool
November 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I can confirm that fix worked myside

Mega_Mike
November 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I have the same problem. Im using 64bit version.

after login, I hear my hard disk spinning, after 2 seconds my wallpaper shows en everything stops, total silence and nothing happends for like 10 seconds (i can still move my mouse), and then I hear my harddisk again and gnome shows up and eveything is ready.

Very weird an very annoying.

EDIT:
I did some research, I did a login and switched back to a terminal running top. The only process running in the login delay is compiz taking about 20% cpu whole time.

Also another weird bug: when i switched back to my graphical interface again, whole screen was white. But i could still click thinks, i had to login again to be able to use my desktop.

Is everyone using 64bit with this problem?

I experienced the exact same thing with 32bit Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid when I attempted to switch to another viewport to look at the messages during login (nothing appears after pulseaudio warnings). I am also using the 177.80 nvidia drivers with compiz.

Mega_Mike
November 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Just want to add that setting desktop effects to 'none' and adding 'compiz --replace' to my session startup sped up the process greatly. Thanks for the advice.

WattoDaToydarian
November 26th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Yeah I am also having this same issue...
Lets get this fixed ppl!

DevAdv
February 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
having the same problem.

will try the fix mentioned and see if it helps later.

-edit-

compiz --replace doesnt help one bit.