PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade questions

Riffer
November 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm wanting to watch tv on my comp. AT present I have an ASUS M2N-E mb, nVidia 7300 GS graphics card, an AMD dual core 5200 processor and 2 gigs of RAM and an old IDE WD 60 gig harddrive. I'm planning on getting a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe HD TV Tuner Card and was wondering if I should get a bigger HD?

So heres the questions, internal or external, and if internal SATA or IDE? I've heard that SATA drives or a bit problematic with Linux.

FuturePilot
November 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm wanting to watch tv on my comp. AT present I have an ASUS M2N-E mb, nVidia 7300 GS graphics card, an AMD dual core 5200 processor and 2 gigs of RAM and an old IDE WD 60 gig harddrive. I'm planning on getting a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe HD TV Tuner Card and was wondering if I should get a bigger HD?

So heres the questions, internal or external, and if internal SATA or IDE? I've heard that SATA drives or a bit problematic with Linux.

The size is really up to you and how much stuff you're planning on putting on it.

I would go with an internal SATA. Probably be the fastest. I've never heard anything about Linux having problems with SATA drives. I have one in my PC and it's never given me problems with Linux.

jespdj
November 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I've heard that SATA drives or a bit problematic with Linux.
That was maybe when SATA was new, long ago. There ar no problems with SATA with current versions of Linux. In fact, (almost) all PCs from the last few years have SATA drives, it has really superseded IDE.

LowSky
November 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
yeah, SATA is the new King.. Besides most brand new motherboards only have one IDE port, kinda limits the use of IDE hard drives and DVD-ROMS and such. But then again you can now get SATA DVD drives as well, so... um...yeah... go SATA!!!

Riffer
November 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the good info.