PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!

Ronny
October 17th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I can't keep this to myself...

all I can say is GO HERE! (http://www.linare.com/default.php)

WOW....

Does anyone know anything about this?

eNiNjA
October 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Dunno about the OS, but I would probably buy one of those PC's for $199

Edit: Would remove Linare and install something else on it :D

arctic
October 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM
one thing is really bad about that wallmart 200 $ box... it has only 128 mb ram. a bit too slim for kde imho.

eNiNjA
October 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Yes true, but ram is a tad inexpensive these days, and this wouldnt be bad at all for a kids first pc.

mark
October 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Quite the deal...and anything that promotes alternative OSes is a good thing, no?

ubuntu-geek
October 17th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I tried it and removed it within 10 mins.. :)

Ronny
October 17th, 2004, 06:42 PM
I tried it and removed it within 10 mins.. :)

:?:
Can you tell me why? What were the disadvantages of the OS and what would make you remove it in ten minutes? Is it that you didn't like how candy their desktop is? Or that it closely resembles XP? Or that it is too organized and made you possibly feel guilty?

Hmmm... no offense... but when I hastely judge something, I make myself stop and analyze 'why' I feel this way. Sometimes it just could be a judgement of the ego.

I read many reviews on it last night, spending hours. I didn't find too many negative ones out of all the great reviews.

Really... any sensible thoughts on this will be much appreciated!!

cseg
October 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Hmmm... no offense... but when I hastely judge something, I make myself stop and analyze 'why' I feel this way. Sometimes it just could be a judgement of the ego.Which reminds me, when I first encountered WebForums, like the one this forum is hosted on, I was doing mainly newgroups and mailing lists, with a preference to newgroups. I liked the fact that newsgroups only pull content down to my machine when I wanted it to, and since I was using a native newsgroup client, it felt very responsive. My first impression of web forums was: Why isn't this on a newsgroup?!! WebForums are so clunky, unresponsive, I can't sort and search in ten different ways. Why would I want to use a WebForum?

Well, time passes and I now appreciate WebForums. I especially like the ability to see messages posted since my last visit. I can visit while at work, and see new messages. Then I can visit again at home and not see the same new messages. That's something that doesn't work well with newgroups.

So even though I think there is still room for a "best of both worlds" product (one that would remember state as you visit from different machines but one that is also more responsive and flexible), I don't have such a harsh opinion of WebForums that I once did.

The moral: knee-jerk reactions ("I took it off in 10 minutes") are purely based on emotion and not reason and experience. They're pretty much useless. (Although I, too, am mildly curious as to what triggered this knee-jerk response.)

FLeiXiuS
October 17th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Very nice site indeed, i would never go about paying for a linux distro so it disturbed my eyes..

Ronny
October 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Very nice site indeed, i would never go about paying for a linux distro so it disturbed my eyes..

Just curious why some people out there would not be willing to support the company that took so much of their time to aid us in getting away from Microshaft Winblows?

I see it as a effort of support and not just paying for an item.

Heck, still, it's a lot cheaper than ******* and with *******, you still have to buy all the wares to run under the OS!

Also, they DO have a server that allows one to download the free version.
I do this first to check out the distro... and if I like it... that's when I decide to support the company. So to me, its not really purchasing thier product... it's giving back to a company who gave to us!

Thanks for listening...!

FLeiXiuS
October 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Just curious why some people out there would not be willing to support the company that took so much of their time to aid us in getting away from Microshaft Winblows?

I see it as a effort of support and not just paying for an item.

Heck, still, it's a lot cheaper than ******* and with *******, you still have to buy all the wares to run under the OS!

Also, they DO have a server that allows one to download the free version.
I do this first to check out the distro... and if I like it... that's when I decide to support the company. So to me, its not really purchasing thier product... it's giving back to a company who gave to us!

Thanks for listening...!

I completely agree with your view point. But I'm not sure if anything can drag me away from Ubuntu right about now :-). I believe all distro's should have a demo ISO or something. Perhaps a live cd just to get the taste of the distro before paying for it. I hate to waste money..Just how I feel. I'm not flamming you in any sort of way, my words are not directed to offend.

Jspired
October 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I tried and used Linare for an extended period of time, but also uninstalled it. I wanted to like it and some aspects of it I did. It was pretty and slick, but also plagued with a few config bugs that have been spoken about on other forums. The software repository for Linare is also still not active yet, which wasn't a huge deal as one can install any FC-2 software, but that did disturb me because it would seem they would have taken care of that before releasing.

I also had several lockups on a pretty standard Toshiba laptop, which is what ultimately caused me to go for Ubuntu.

..Just my .02 cents...and only an opinion.

As for paying for software, I've no issue with spending some green for an Operating System!

shafin
February 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
WOW!
This is probably the oldest active thread, as the oldest thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2) is now locked and in the archives.

Signed to be a part of history :)

Richard1979
February 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
WOW!
This is probably the oldest active thread, as the oldest thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2) is now locked and in the archives.

Don't they ban people for thread necro like this?
If they don't, they should.

Slug71
February 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
WOW!

Bored much?

The Real Dave
February 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
WOW!

Not for much longer once the mods see this ;)

dragos240
February 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
6 yr bump. Thread necromancy.

matthew
February 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
We don't mind old threads being resurrected when there is something directly related to the thread and actually valuable being added. In this case, that isn't happening. Please don't resurrect threads just to be silly.