PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Animation Effect without Compiz?

kenokabe
November 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hi List.

Is there any way to add Animation ettcts on gnome desktop WITHOUT compiz-fusion?

I have used compiz for a while, but the only headaque is firefox with 'yet Another Smooth Scrolling'.

With a proper setting, firefox with this addon performs very smooth scroll feeling similar to iPhone scrolling.

However, under compiz, the scroll smoothness is vanished.
I tried every way to tweak configuration, but concluded I take the smooth scroll and disable compiz.

Having said that, I still need some animation effect.

I recall ubuntu used to have some animation effect under gnome without compiz stuff, so I guess there might a way to add extra eye-candy effect without Compiz.

Please advice. Thanks!

Ken

ad_267
November 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
What sort of effects do you want? If you press Alt+F2 and run gconf-editor then navigate to apps - metacity - general - compositing_manager you can enable compositing in Metacity which will give your windows shadows and allow some other subtle effects. Another option to look at is xcompmgr.

kenokabe
November 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
ad_267
Thanks for replying.

I have checked gconf-editor before, and thought insufficient.

xcompmgr looks better.

Effects I want are terminal-console with transparent background or window fading-in.folding-out stuff.

Don't you know a good way to turn compiz on without interfaring events inside of a window, such as firefox-scroll?

Ken

ad_267
November 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM
No I don't think you can enable compiz like that. Metacity compositing gives a transparent terminal background, but won't do the fading in and out.

kenokabe
November 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
No I don't think you can enable compiz like that. Metacity compositing gives a transparent terminal background, but won't do the fading in and out.

Thanks for your input. Understood.
I will research more.

Ken

CyberBone
March 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
ad_267
Thanks for replying.

I have checked gconf-editor before, and thought insufficient.

xcompmgr looks better.

Effects I want are terminal-console with transparent background or window fading-in.folding-out stuff.

Don't you know a good way to turn compiz on without interfaring events inside of a window, such as firefox-scroll?

Ken
hi

to you use xcompmgr, you only can execute one effect for time...
:)

hariks0
December 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Is it possible to enable or disable an effect/plugin without ccsm. An option to upload a profile will also do.

Thanks in advance.