PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] External USB HDD

samjh
November 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm thinking of getting a low-cost external USB hard drive for backup purposes. Predictably, most of them appear to list Windows or Mac in their system requirements.

What (modern) external USB hard drives have you used, and how well do they work with Ubuntu?

richg
November 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I use a Firewire 80gb external drive. Much faster than USB 1.1 in my PCs.

I bought a set off of ebay for a bout $14.00 with shipping that consist of a IDE to USB cable and a small power supply. I can use it to back up or transfer files for two laptops. I can also plug in a CD. I tried WD, Maxtor 80gb drives.
My stepson just bought a 500gb external USB 2.0 drive for a little less than $100.00 US.

Rich

TheSlipstream
November 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I think all external drives should work with all Operating Systems, seeing as the drive is just a External Storage device. The Windows/Mac thing is just to reassure nervous Mac users, I guess.

jespdj
November 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Most hardware manufacturers don't list Linux compatibility on the box of their hardware, because they're afraid that they get difficult questions about using their products with Linux, and they don't test their products with Linux.

That doesn't mean that their products don't work with Linux. Most external harddrives just work without any problems.

I use a Firewire 80gb external drive. Much faster than USB 1.1 in my PCs
Ofcourse, because USB 1.1 is very slow. Most external harddrives have an USB 2.0 interface, which is practically the same speed as Firewire. I'd be surprised if you could find an external harddrive anywhere in a shop that's only USB 1.1.

mips
November 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Most external harddrives have an USB 2.0 interface, which is practically the same speed as Firewire.

No they are not the same speed as Firewire. USB is much slower. Firewire has higher sustained throughput than USB which actually chokes badly on large files.

To the OP:
Any Seagate or Western Digital drive will be fine. I would look out for one that has USB/Firewire&eSATA interfaces. This will give you the best connectivity options. If your MB has sata ports then all you need is a cheap $5 sata to esata adapter plate that fites in the back of your case for maximum possible speed.

barbedsaber
November 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I often see usb flash drives and external HDD's that say they support linux on the box. I always try and buy those, because they took the time to test it, and put it on the box.

OffHand
November 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
No they are not the same speed s Firewire. USB is much slower.FW 400 and USB 2.0 are about the same. Actually USB 2.0 is a bit faster in theory compared to FW 400.

400Mbps vs 480Mbps

mips
November 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
FW 400 and USB 2.0 are about the same. Actually USB 2.0 is a bit faster in theory compared to FW 400.

400Mbps vs 480Mbps

](*,)

You can NOT simply compare based on the Mbps rating of the two standards. They work differently and in the real word FW outperforms USB 2.0.

If you don't believe me then test it for yourself, there are benchmarks out there. Then there is also FW 800.

billgoldberg
November 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking of getting a low-cost external USB hard drive for backup purposes. Predictably, most of them appear to list Windows or Mac in their system requirements.

What (modern) external USB hard drives have you used, and how well do they work with Ubuntu?

Let me put it this way, you are going to have to look very, very hard for one that won't work with Linux.

To answer you question, a WD Elements 500GB drive, I bought it for €124 at the time, they are much cheaper now if you can still find one.

samjh
November 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for input, folks.

I was looking at the Western Digital range (my internal HDD has been Western Digital for the past two purchases) myself. You give me extra confidence. :)

warpasylum
November 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I've used WD Passports and a 320GB external mybook and both are happy with linux :)