PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should Have Learned By Now

pbhill
November 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
OK, I should have learned from my bad experience trying to upgrade to 8.04.
I ended up doing a clean install from a CD.
Now I did it an upgrade again and have a flukey 8.10.
* No Sound at all.
* Clicking anything under the "Places" menu brings up F-Spot. Nothing else.

How do I downgrade?

Mark Phelps
November 8th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Your post title says it all -- Should have learned by now. Basically, you can't downgrade. Next time, backup your Linux partitions to offline hard drive or USB before doing the upgrade. That way, if it causes major problems, you can get your old system back.

Google for PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) for a free Linux app that will let you do partition backup and recovery (like Ghost).

pbhill
November 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Well, I have learned to keep Home on a separate partition. I can reinstall Hardy and be just fine.
But I guess what bugs me is that they keep releasing these faulty updates. Why can't they just wait until they are ready? We aren't all programmers. Some of us just want a system that works "out of the box".

GrumpyBob
November 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well, I have learned to keep Home on a separate partition. I can reinstall Hardy and be just fine.
But I guess what bugs me is that they keep releasing these faulty updates. Why can't they just wait until they are ready? We aren't all programmers. Some of us just want a system that works "out of the box".

I'm not so sure they do release faulty upgrades. I've just upgraded three machines (IBM laptop, Sony laptop and a desktop PC) from 8.04 to 8.10 with no problems other than a file permission issue with BackupPC on the desktop PC and a minor issue with Network Manager on the Sony (easily sorted with a third party repo).
I've been upgrading rather than reinstalling for several years, and the only problem I encountered was due to having used Automatix on one of my computers.

OTOH, the default partitioning seems odd to me, the best install advice I had was the separate partition for /home

Robert

pbhill
November 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not so sure they do release faulty upgrades. I've just upgraded three machines (IBM laptop, Sony laptop and a desktop PC) from 8.04 to 8.10 with no problems other than a file permission issue with BackupPC on the desktop PC and a minor issue with Network Manager on the Sony (easily sorted with a third party repo).
I've been upgrading rather than reinstalling for several years, and the only problem I encountered was due to having used Automatix on one of my computers.

OTOH, the default partitioning seems odd to me, the best install advice I had was the separate partition for /home

Robert

Maybe it's me, but I have had faulty Ubuntu upgrades on two separate computers since 8.04. I haven't used Automatix. Some of the problems are fairly minor, but this last one was a disaster! A clean install from a CD worked just fine, but leaves me with more to do. Interestingly, I have an old Sager laptop that barely runs anything, set up with Xubuntu, and I recently upgraded that to 8.10 with no problems.