PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freeze before login, need help quick!

ingard
November 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I am loosing my patience with Ubuntu.

I have just "upgraded" to 8.10, and now it freezes before loginscreen leaving a slighty brighter brown screen.

I have removed compiz. That didnt fix it.

What should i do? i need this computer to work soon, and with all my files and settings..

heldal
November 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Some computers have problems with 8.10. Looks like a buggy kernel and/or 3rd party modules and the result depends a lot on what hardware you have. Some people have reported success by installing the package linux-backports-modules-intrepid. In my case I had to compile a whole new kernel and other drivers, not a trivial task. Many serious issues have been solved since the relase of the 2.6.27-kernel in intrepid. I don't know how much of updates in sub-releases that have been backported in the ubuntu-source, but I suspect the kernel-team would be better off creating a new set of packages based on 2.6.27.4 and release those as updates for intrepid.

Verslinykas
November 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Have the same prob. Upgraded to 8.10, now my PC freezes before login. Have no idea how to fix it. I wish i never upgraded but did a clean install instead.