PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] intrepid worth the effort?

aaronp
November 7th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if intrepid is worth the update from hardy?
Looking at the new features in conjunction with some people's installation tales I am weighing up the pros and cons (I must admit that my upgrade from GG to HH was flawless even though the same horror stories about upgrade issues were all over the forum)

Essentially, the list of new features in II dn't really seem to be that much that I'm interested in and at the moment my Hardy system is a well oiled machine - plus it has LTS.

I guess I'm just looking for guidance from people who are using it as to whether I should just stay as-is or if it is worth the (potential) trouble of upgrading.

I'm currently d/loading the II iso to give it a whirl from liveCD but installation/upgrades are a different story!

Any thoughts?

jimv
November 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The BEST thing to do, and I don't care what anyone else says, is to create another partition and put Intrepid on it so you can test it out. Then you can always boot up from Hardy again if problems arise, or you don't like the new version.

Skripka
November 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
It depends on you and your hardware, and what software you want.

Currently the HH repos are rather behind on releases of software such as VLC, as well as Nvidia drivers etc etc (Even Ibex doesn't have Open Office 3 in it's repos yet).. My GTX260 I just got, caused my HH install to go FLAKY big time (I had both e17 and KDE4 on the same *buntu setup, and the problem was the same). I eventually said fkc it-nuked my preferences files on my media partition, nuked my system partition and last night installed Ibex. The easy support for the latest and greatest GPUs is really nice (In my case, Nvidia driver 177.80)-no downloading .run scripts and having flaky kdm, as well as everything on KDE4.x anyway runs much better than I ever got it to on HH.

It ain't perfect, but for my and my new GPU-it is a step upward from HH. From what I've read, lots of people are having "upgrade" problems. my theory is best to Nuke-and not have dangling incompatible preferences messing things up.

It ain't perfect, some of the extra unneeded Kwin bling modules I had to turn off, as they were causing my system to hang on login from kdm, but other than that I like it....KDE4 has some less-rough rough spots, Ibex has some rough spots too,.

Yes and No. In short to answer your question.

VastOne
November 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Jimv

I agree with your method but....

I had a very stable 8.04 and upgraded to it and found 8.10 a stable and impressive core...

So, after reading whether or not a new install is better than an upgrade I decided to test it myself and install to a new partition with my /home partition already established. After repeated efforts to get the same level of optimization and stability on the new install, I have given up completely and returned to the upgraded original version.

I can only say that the frustration of simple things being wrong or not there in the new install led me to question why I needed to reinvent something that I already had....

Edit: Update...

I have since done a new install from a Remastersy LiveCD of my first installed system and absolutely everything came over to the new install, every app every sound setting, every thing I wanted and more which makes it the ultimate disastor recovery disk...

VastOne

The BEST thing to do, and I don't care what anyone else says, is to create another partition and put Intrepid on it so you can test it out. Then you can always boot up from Hardy again if problems arise, or you don't like the new version.