PDA

View Full Version : Window Manager & Compositing Combo

BGFG
November 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi all,
In 8.04 I found that a combination of A Gnome-Openbox Session and xcompmgr significantly speed up window response time.
In Intrepid, much like in hardy i find myself waiting seconds for a response when i select any of my "PLACES"

Can any one who know the code explain why metacity and compiz respond so slowly ? I tried Gnome-openbox in Intrepid but i can't get it to work yet.

Joeb454
November 8th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Try XFCE - that has a built in compositor, it's pretty decent too :)

loell
November 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
that's probably because metacity and compiz are not just compositors they also do window management

BGFG
November 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
that's probably because metacity and compiz are not just compositors they also do window management

If they both do window management and compositing, that seems redundant. Run slow as hell here. I'll keep trying with openbox. Not as pretty but much faster.

aaaantoine
November 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
If they both do window management and compositing, that seems redundant. Run slow as hell here. I'll keep trying with openbox. Not as pretty but much faster.

No redundancy. Your system will run one (Metacity) or the other (Compiz), not both at once.

BGFG
November 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
In my system processes i see both metacity and compiz decorator running. Also,which is faster ?

chris4585
November 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Compiz should be faster on the right machine. Compiz utilizes your gpu to manage all the nice effects and opening windows, etc.. leaving your cpu to do the real work. This is what I've been told before.

thus why on my system with compiz things fly, and with just gnome things are slow as crap with 2gb of ram!