PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Please explaine

theozzlives
November 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I have yet to discover the differance BTW the desktop and server software (besides the lack of a GUI). Am I missing something???

wirelessmonkey
November 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have yet to discover the differance BTW the desktop and server software (besides the lack of a GUI). Am I missing something???

I believe that is the major difference, though PAE memory support for 4GB memory on x86 systems is also enabled on the server distro.
There are several small differences in default applications, and installed modules.

ad_267
November 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I believe the server also has things like Apache, MySQL, OpenSSH and other software installed by default.

Thirtysixway
November 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The server kernel is a little different than that of the desktop kernel. Server doesn't come with ssh/lamp installed by default but does present you with the options during installation.

If you're looking at running a server, don't bother with using desktop version. You'll be wasting system resources and hd space with the desktop and default applications like openoffice.

windependence
November 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Look here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/features/kernel

There are MAJOR differences.

-Tim

theozzlives
November 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Look here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/features/kernel

There are MAJOR differences.

-Tim

thanks for the info, but I'm running 32bit server for Apache, a 32 bit Desktop as a print server, and a 64 bit laptop. I still keep asking myself Why the server???

blackened
November 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Most of the differences are during installation. The desktop version has one main install type (though the details can vary), whereas the server version installs a fairly barebones system onto which you can add.

The benefit of using the server version would be if you wanted to start with a basic system and only install those packages that you specifically need/want. Not to mention that it allows you to add some server-specific packages during installation.

windependence
November 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
thanks for the info, but I'm running 32bit server for Apache, a 32 bit Desktop as a print server, and a 64 bit laptop. I still keep asking myself Why the server???

The differences are mostly under the hood as the link that I posted describes. A lot of n00bs think the only difference is the lack of GUI or the package selection. The truth is you can do pretty much with the desktop what you can with server, however, server will do it better and with more stability and scalability. We're talking true servers here not just your little file server or torrent server, but real, enterprise applications.

-Tim