PDA

View Full Version : Getting Windows only websites to work with Linux

newbie2
December 1st, 2005, 08:12 AM
"My solution may not be liked by most Linux users but it solved the problem. I had to install Internet Explorer 6. I tried Opera, Firefox, Konqueror, and even Mozilla Web Browser. I even changed Browser Identifications and still nothing worked except for good old Internet Explorer. Well IE alone didn't do the trick. I also had to execute IE with Wine."
http://linuxblogger.dyndns.org/weblog/index.php?/archives/79-Getting-Windows-only-websites-to-work-with-Linux.html
:rolleyes:

blueturtl
December 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
What kind of sites do you have to view anyway to not have them work in Linux? Both Mozilla and Opera have better standards compliance than IE and they work in Linux. If a site does not work it's most propably because it hasn't been designed properly in which case you should be emailing the webmaster, not building work-arounds to support such bad design.

Axios
December 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM
"My solution may not be liked by most Linux users but it solved the problem. I had to install Internet Explorer 6. I tried Opera, Firefox, Konqueror, and even Mozilla Web Browser. I even changed Browser Identifications and still nothing worked except for good old Internet Explorer. Well IE alone didn't do the trick. I also had to execute IE with Wine."
http://linuxblogger.dyndns.org/weblog/index.php?/archives/79-Getting-Windows-only-websites-to-work-with-Linux.html

The problem with using internet explorer on internet explorer pages only, is that the developers dont see a need to rewrite the page, if everybody just uses internet explorer.

public_void
December 1st, 2005, 03:51 PM
You shouldn't change your browser just because a developer makes a IE only page. Get the developer to change it, it would be better for them and you, with many people moving away from IE.

derrick1985
December 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
I have to agree with public_void on that one.

Personally, i've been using Firefox in both Linux and Windows, simply because I find it faster, more secure and customizable. The only thing I ever use IE for now is a Windows Update.

sapo
December 1st, 2005, 04:09 PM
Internet explorer is the worst virus on the internet :(

firenurse4
December 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM
While I agree that website designers should write for all browsers, there are times when you can't just bang you head against the wall. While I'm not sure of what sites the OP visit that only work with IE, I know of 3 that I visit.

1. My retirement plans website. I can't change plans since it is with my company. I have emailed them several times with no replies.

2. The American Heart Association website that has Instructor updates on it. I emailed them and just got a caned reply.

3. Firehouse.com--Now this one has finally changed months after I complained to them. Before that, navigating that site was a nightmare.

In each case, I needed the content on the sites and can complain all I want; but, if I need the content, I need the content. Working around them is no fun and I hate using IE either on Linux or natively.

Yes please let the website know they need to support the web standards and not just for Redmondites. But than again if you must use the site to get your work done, you don't really have any other choice.

fellwind
December 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
In addition, the company where I work has several web based applications that are IE specific using ActiveX controls.

Convincing developers of third party applications that you had no control over the selection of is a little difficult. Given that Linux is all about the community creating solutions, it would be great if some developers might try to produce a kind of activex emulator or something. I certainly don't have the skill to do it, but it seems to me that being able to run activex in a different browser would be better than having to run the whole IE implementation in WINE.

Possibly just wishfull thinking on my part.

newbie2
December 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM

window$ as a whole is spyware ... -->

Nov. 30, 2005
IE Exploit At Large, Microsoft Urges Scan
http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174403081

"By default, the virus scanner reports back to Microsoft with details of the machine, including the operating system (its product ID, among other things), installed drivers, and installed applications. Microsoft said that the collected data would be used to "help us improve scanner features and make better recommendations." The user can choose to not transmit some of this data by clearing a check box in the scanner window.

LMAO :p -->

"If you elect to share your results with us, all reported information is anonymous. No personal information is collected," Microsoft said.
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/173402202

--->
"Reporters Without Borders said it was disgusted to find that Microsoft was censoring the Chinese version of its blog tool, MSN spaces, the system automatically rejecting words including "democracy" and "Dalai Lama".
"Does that mean that if the authorities asked Microsoft to provide information about Chinese cyberdissidents using its services that it would agree to do so, on the basis that it is "legal" ? Reporters Without Borders wondered.
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=14069&var_recherche=microsoft
"Microsoft Corp. and Google Inc. have been accused of helping the government there censor news sites and blogs. And in a recent case, Reporters Without Borders criticized Yahoo Inc. for allegedly helping the Chinese government trace the private e-mail account of a Chinese journalist who was later imprisoned for providing state secrets to foreigners. Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Yahoo has defended its move, saying it is obliged to comply with Chinese regulations."
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=YCREDD15YESHEQSNDBECK H0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=173600060

Vlammetje
December 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM
, interesting... yet slightly OT reply ;)

an ActiveX emulatorm would be a dream come true I have to say.... but probably not as easily done as it is said :(

blastus
December 2nd, 2005, 02:28 AM
window$ as a whole is spyware ... -->

Nov. 30, 2005
IE Exploit At Large, Microsoft Urges Scan
http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=174403081

"By default, the virus scanner reports back to Microsoft with details of the machine, including the operating system (its product ID, among other things), installed drivers, and installed applications. Microsoft said that the collected data would be used to "help us improve scanner features and make better recommendations." The user can choose to not transmit some of this data by clearing a check box in the scanner window.

Not if it can't connect to the Internet or anything else. :p

To ensure there is no way it can connect to anything, disable all networking devices in Device Manager, and disable these Windows XP services; Computer Browser, Workstation, Alerter, DHCP, DNS, IPSEC, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Distributed Link Tracking Client, WebClient, and Firewall. The Messenger service should be disabled by the installation of SP2, if not then disable it. It also a good idea to set the security level for every zone in IE to high and disable everything in IE (including all active scripting, all multimedia, etc...)

If you don't need to connect to the Internet you don't need antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall, and you'll save even more resources by disabling the above networking-related services. Don't try to stop services--stopping some services may result in a BSOD or a frozen Windows XP. The best way is to disable them and then reboot.

sapo
December 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Not if it can't connect to the Internet or anything else. :p

To ensure there is no way it can connect to anything, disable all networking devices in Device Manager, and disable these Windows XP services; Computer Browser, Workstation, Alerter, DHCP, DNS, IPSEC, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Distributed Link Tracking Client, WebClient, and Firewall. The Messenger service should be disabled by the installation of SP2, if not then disable it. It also a good idea to set the security level for every zone in IE to high and disable everything in IE (including all active scripting, all multimedia, etc...)

If you don't need to connect to the Internet you don't need antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall, and you'll save even more resources by disabling the above networking-related services. Don't try to stop services--stopping some services may result in a BSOD or a frozen Windows XP. The best way is to disable them and then reboot.
Just making it short:

To use windows, you need to go back to the windows 3.1 age, and not use network nor internet.

At least thats what i understood :D

chris.clark
September 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
He's probably trying to get to a site like this one:
http://mapweb.augustaga.gov/augusta/

In order to view the GIS Maps for the county, IE6+ is required. Unfortunately, this is a necessary site for my office and stopped my effort to deploy FireFox company-wide. I contacted the county IS department, informed them that we were unable to use the mapping application from our Macintosh workstations and asked them to please consider making it available to other browsers. Their response: "Buy VirtualPC and access the site under Internet Explorer."

Wonderful people...

Frank_l
October 8th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Amen!

perce
October 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM
He's probably trying to get to a site like this one:
http://mapweb.augustaga.gov/augusta/

I submitted a report to the Mozilla Fundation about that page (help > report a broken web site).

Btw, they are not only stupid (how can they answer that you should BUY
something to see their pages?) they are also illiterate: were sorry instead of we're sorry :D

macogw
October 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM
it would be great if some developers might try to produce a kind of activex emulator or something. I certainly don't have the skill to do it, but it seems to me that being able to run activex in a different browser would be better than having to run the whole IE implementation in WINE.

and then we can get viruses that execute in-browser too! goody! i can't wait!

honestly, anyone with any knowledge of computers disables ActiveX when forced to use IE because their office doesn't let them install Firefox.

that said, Yahoo Music (Launch) uses ActiveX