PDA

View Full Version : Solving Ubuntu issues

canadianwriterman
November 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I've been using Ubuntu versions for more than 3 years and, like most of us, I used it on machines that originally came with Windows pre-installed. Of course, I had problems along the way, many related to the hardware. Last year, I ordered a laptop from Zareason, specifically built for Linux and with Ubuntu pre-installed. What a difference!

With each new version of Ubuntu, I've done a clean install that went as smooth as silk. Everything from hotkeys to the webcam, "just worked."

When I look through the forums today, a large majority of the issues (I'd hate to estimate, but it is probably huge) are directly or indirectly related to the hardware. With so many options for OEM Linux machines today, including Dell, why wouldn't everyone buy a machine designed for the OS?

I realize that's pretty simplistic. The majority of people are using legacy hardware and just as many are installing Ubuntu as a second OS beside Windows "just to try out, as I first did).

I'd be interested in your experiences with machines home-built or OEM-designed specifically for Linux. Personally, I'll never buy another for-Windows built machine again.

Therion
November 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
With so many options for OEM Linux machines today, including Dell, why wouldn't everyone buy a machine designed for the OS?
I've always assumed most people are "dancing with the one that brought them" when they're first introduced to Linux/Ubuntu.

I build PC's from the ground up so this isn't so much an issue for me; but were I in the market for a notebook PC, I wouldn't really consider going outside a Linux-preloaded Dell or '76 machine.

ZankerH
November 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Building a custom PC for Linux is just as easy as it is for any other OS, you just have to google "piece of hardware" + linux (distro)drivers to see whether it's supported before you place an order. I never have and never will but a pre-built desktop PC. If the companies aren't locking you into a single OS, they're locking you into the hardware by voiding your warranty if you replace anything yourself (forcing you to buy their upgrades), and if they aren't doing that they're just charging you criminal prices that far exceed the cost of the hardware by itself, and even if their prices are reasonable they're just another useless link in the capitalist chain that serves no purpose but to buy something cheap and sell is more expensively. The fewer, the better.