PDA

View Full Version : Th' Pyrate Talk

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yar! I be gettin' some clashes from th' folk o' th' forum that I be playin' wi' now. I be just wonderin' what ye be thinkin'. I be makin' no promisin' nothin' but I may go an' tone it down a mite. I be already makin' "translations" so that ye landlubbers can read it wi' ease.

So, I be wanted t' ask, be this really annoyin' you, or nay? If aye, why be it so?

I'm getting some flack with this whole pyrate talk I'm having fun with right now. I just wanted to get a feel for what people think about it. I make no promises, but I may tone it down a touch. I have already started making "translations" so that people can read it with ease.

So, I just wanted to ask, does this really annoy you, or not? If yes, how so?

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
If I were a mod, you'd be banned. :-)

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well, that's too bad, not isn't it? :razz:

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I voted I do not like it ;)
Some users are a little tired, so that would be kewl if you would consider dropping this fun :KS

rudihawk
November 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yar, I consider it worthy of 'me alligence me hearty!

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Arr! Ye be a man o' me own 'eart!

You are a man after my own heart.

fiddledd
November 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I think you should stop doing it while you still can.

The more you do it, the more chance you'll need professional help later.:)

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I think you should stop doing it while you still can.

The more you do it, the more chance you'll need professional help later.:)
Arrr! Ye no' can be knowin' how liberatin' it be t' talk pyratey till ye do it mate. Arrr!

You cannot know how liberating it is to do so until you try it.

fiddledd
November 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Arrr! Ye no' can be knowin' how liberatin' it be t' talk pyratey till ye do it mate. Arrr!

That's OK, I can live without knowing what it feels like.

drubin
November 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I voted I do not like it ;)
Some users are a little tired, so that would be kewl if you would consider dropping this fun :KS

I aggree judging by the way people are acting it started off funny but you have just keep it up too long :) so it has just lost its appeal and makes the forums harder to read.

ps
Remember the pm.

LateNiteTV
November 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
lol wtf? how old are you?

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM

drubin
November 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM

This is bordering on drug addiction and is not the our place to help.

Zeotronic
November 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
As a ninja in training "I be liken' it much"... it makes my targets easier to identify.

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
All the decisions I have made in my public life I have always tried to do what was best for the forums.

Throughout the long and difficult period of pyratey speak, I have felt it was my duty to persevere; to make every possible effort to complete the attitude and speech patterns that people seemed to like.

In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough support base in the Ubuntuforums to justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I felt strongly that it was necessary to see the process through to its conclusion; that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of that deliberately difficult process.

But with the disappearance of that base, I now believe that the humourous purpose has been served. And there is no longer a need for the process to be prolonged.

I would have preferred to carry through to the finish whatever the personal agony it would have involved. But the interests of the forum must always come before any personal considerations. From the discussions I have had with moderators and other members I have concluded that because of the pyratey matter I might not have the approval of the forums that I would consider necessary to back the very difficult decisions and carry out the duties of this office in the way the interests of the forum will require.

I will, in deference to the wishes of the forum moderators and longtime members stop this language game. I have never liked quitting, but I see that there no more humour to be gleaned in this game, for now. As such, I will take off my pyrate hat, put away my cutlass, and stow the accent, for a while. Maybe sometime in the future, there will be a time. I see that day, but every day I prolong the inevitable, that day grows dimmer. I do not wish to truly upset anyone by annoying them. I regret that more than a few pleople seem to feel antagonized by my actions, and I apologize. My intention is not, nor has it ever been to hurt anyone but to bring a light and humourus spirit to the conversation. It seems that I have failed.

I hereby am taking an extended vacation as Captain O' Th' Pyrates. May you all fair well, fellow pyrates, and I hope to see you again someday. Until that day does come, fair tides and following winds. Goodbye.

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks Lukjad :KS
You know, there is a French saying, something like: the best jokes are the shortest ones.
Best winds to you!

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
You know, there is a French saying, something like: the best jokes are the shortest ones.
Best winds to you!

French is more like English than I thought...

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Best winds to you!
Thank you.

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
French is more like English than I thought...
Ah.. I should have looked (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/French_proverbs) :D

Les plaisanteries les plus courtes sont les meilleures.
Idiomatic translation: Brevity is the soul of wit.
Literal meaning: The shortest jokes are the best ones.

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Ah.. I should have looked (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/French_proverbs) :D

Ah, so it isn't just an accent :(

(In movies, American ones at least, it is usually sufficient to have an accent to be fluent in another language)

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM
you do it pretty well, so why not continue? being a voice teacher, i'll often get stuck in an accent, or an imitation of someone famous and i'll just yell like that on the way home at other cars.

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Ah, so it isn't just an accent :(

(In movies, American ones at least, it is usually sufficient to have an accent to be fluent in another language)
I'm sure you'll enjoy this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opK9Sm0JBrI) (from The Party by Blake Edwards, with Peter Sellers. She is French, he plays the guy from India, one of the best movies ever).

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opK9Sm0JBrI) (from The Party by Blake Edwards, with Peter Sellers. She is French, he plays the guy from India, one of the best movies ever).

For some reason, sound isn't working, but only in certain apps...

I'll check it out later (on my dell, probably).

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM

is that the "bordie numb-numb" movie? (i'm using elinks.)

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
For some reason, sound isn't working, but only in certain apps...

I'll check it out later (on my dell, probably).
Or rent the movie. Each time I watch it, I laugh so much that I ache all over. With "the Big Lebowski" by the Cohen brothers, you have my stress relief therapy ;)

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
is that the "bordie numb-numb" movie? (i'm using elinks.)
Yes!

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Or rent the movie. Each time I watch it, I laugh so much that I ache all over. With "the Big Lebowski" by the Cohen brothers, you have my stress relief therapy ;)

I will get them :-)

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Yes!

pretty silly stuff.

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I will get them :-)
The language in "The Big Lebowski" is not for all audiences. I found a youtube compilation of the f word in this movie. I's over 5 straight minutes..

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
pretty silly stuff.
Yeah, it is completely silly, sooo silly. I enjoy it much.
"I love to have my hand crushed by you" :D

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
The language in "The Big Lebowski" is not for all audiences. I found a youtube compilation of the f word in this movie. I's over 5 straight minutes..

I know someone who might have them, I'll ask if I can borrow them. For the Big Lebowski, I'll make sure my mother is elsewhere...

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM

sounds like watching a hockey game with mrs. chuckaluck.

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I know someone who might have them, I'll ask if I can borrow them. For the Big Lebowski, I'll make sure my mother is elsewhere...
Eheh ;)

sounds like watching a hockey game with mrs. chuckaluck.
Sounds like fun. Do the Cohen brothers know you?

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Sounds like fun. Do the Cohen brothers know you?

we've never met.

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Turn it around and it make sense:
Sounds like fun. Do you know the Cohen brothers?

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Turn it around and it make sense:
Sounds like fun. Do you know the Cohen brothers?
Eheh, yeah. But I would be less surprised if chucky's family knows the Cohen brothers ;)

Hope you do not mind the thread hijack Lukjad!

talsemgeest
November 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hope you do not mind the thread hijack Lukjad!

Ha! Whose the Pyrate now?

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM
No, not really. It was a bit surprising to come home to 20 extra posts in a thread I thought dead but I'm fine with it.

lukjad
November 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Rofl!

bapoumba
November 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Rofl!
:lolflag:

init1
November 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM
You forgot to translate that into plain english ;)

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 02:25 AM

haha!

vikramaditya
November 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM
So, I just wanted to ask, does this really annoy you, or not?
Arrrh, Cap'n! I be thinkin' yer hatches ain't secured.

Translation: Sir, I believe you to be frothingly insane. :)

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Arrrh, Cap'n! I be thinkin' yer hatches ain't secured.

Translation: Sir, I believe you to be frothingly insane. :)

arrrrrrh, welcome aboard, cap'n holmes.

vikramaditya
November 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
arrrrrrh, welcome aboard, cap'n holmes.
Who is this "cap'n holmes"??? Come, kneel before General Zod!!!

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Who is this "cap'n holmes"??? Come, kneel before General Zod!!!

arrrh, laddie, that'd be ol' captain sherlock himself.

vikramaditya
November 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
arrrh, laddie, that'd be ol' captain sherlock himself.
Ah, I be seein'...as in "No ****, Sherlock!". :D

eternalnewbee
November 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hi lukjad007.
I don't like it, because it can be confusing. On a side note, depending on who you are communicating with, it can be fun.):P

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the imput.

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Ah, I be seein'...as in "No ****, Sherlock!". :D

arrrrh, that it'd be, me bucko!

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Funny. I finally buckle under the pressure and then every other pyrate in the quadrant shows up. ;)

sstusick
November 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
If I were a mod, you'd be banned. :-)
:lolflag:

lukjad
November 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ha. Ha. Ha.

tvtech
November 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM
don't buckle be the pyrate you were meant to be!

don't you remember dog ball the movie?

lukjad
November 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
No. And I'll be a pyrate again, just after a break.

paultag
December 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
But with the disappearance of that base, I now believe that the humourous purpose has been served. And there is no longer a need for the process to be prolonged.

lukjad007, this is why we love you.

lukjad
December 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Heehee. Heya paultag. The time, it approaches.

scouser73
January 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ahhaa me hearties, I be posting this from the year 2010.

juancarlospaco
January 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM
Why so many '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ???