PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intrepid minimal install fails, whines about base-passwd not being installable

Gullible Jones
November 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hello guys and gals,

Because of a bad experience I had with a Debian Testing install, and because I figured Intrepid Ibex would be more stable than Debian Testing, I tried a mini install of Intrepid. However, I ran into the exact same error as on Debian - base-passwd won't install because of a permission denied error (!), so the whole installation is aborted.

How can I avoid this? Is there a way to tell the installer to force the install, for instance? Or is this some kind of massive bug in the repos that I have to wait for a fix for? Whatever's going on, it's quite a showstopper.

(I suppose I could try using a full ISO instead of a minimal one, but I'd rather not; that would saddle me with a bloated Gnome desktop, and I think I'd still be hit with this bug once I started upgrading stuff.)

Gullible Jones
November 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
*bump*

icanfly0307
November 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 just got out so its still buggy. I would definitely recommend Ubuntu 8.04 over 8.10 because it has LTS (long term support) and its more stable. You could use it up till 2012. Try Ubuntu 8.04... It has never let me down... so far...:)