PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound after upgrade from 8.04 and a lot of troubleshooting

Vladan
November 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Couple of days ago I have upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04 and was surprised how smoothly it went, even a couple of minor problems I had and was too lazy to look into, were fixed. But I'm having a big issue now...the sound is gone.
I have spent hours and hours searching around the net and these forums, trying every solution I could find and it just refuses to work. From compiling ALSA to reinstalling Ubuntu, nothing works.
Running all the checks I found, everything checks out, none of my channels are muted and the card is getting recognized correctly.
Hardware-wise I haven't changed a thing before or after the upgrade. Everything was working fine with 8.04.
I have nForce 650i mobo and am using it's integrated sound card.

Any help is appreciated as I use Ubuntu for work and can't concentrate without music :(

Vladan
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
So, anyone got any ideas?

Vladan
November 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
One last try before I downgrade. Anyone? :(

Apkerr
November 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I don't have any sound either. I thought the upgrade went fine but today I decided to put some music on and have nothing.

Apkerr
November 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Run alsamixer and see if it's muted. For some reason my volume was defaulted to OFF. Now I have it turned on and suprisingly enough, there is sound!