PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for e-mail address

Valok
November 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
So I'm currently using g-mail and I'm not all too happy with it. Not that its bad, I'm just a very organized person and the main thing I need to have in a e-mail is folders so I can put certain messages in certain places (which you cannot do with g-mail).

So does anyone know of any other e-mail clients (other than yahoo and hotmail) that have this feature? I haven't been in the market for a new e-mail address for a long time, so I'm not up to date on these things.

Thanks!

NilsE
November 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Depending on your ISP they may have a decent e-mail client. For example, I am on RoadRunner and their interface works with both a web interface or Evolution and supports folders in either.

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
So I'm currently using g-mail and I'm not all too happy with it. Not that its bad, I'm just a very organized person and the main thing I need to have in a e-mail is folders so I can put certain messages in certain places (which you cannot do with g-mail).

So does anyone know of any other e-mail clients (other than yahoo and hotmail) that have this feature? I haven't been in the market for a new e-mail address for a long time, so I'm not up to date on these things.

Thanks!

gmail's labels took me a while to get used to, but they are much better than folders IMO. Also, don't forget to archive ;)

You'll see gmail's system is, from my experience, superior to others because of this. You can have multiple labels on an email, and the archive feature is very useful.

SuperSonic4
November 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
my yahoo mail account has sorting by email address, mine is set up to direct amazon emails into my amazon folder for example whereas all others go to inbox/spam

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
my yahoo mail account has sorting by email address, mine is set up to direct amazon emails into my amazon folder for example whereas all others go to inbox/spam

My gmail account has something like that, where is automatically applies labels based on filters. The lack of "folders" is an improvement. Now you can have labels and archive the emails. It is much more flexible. Having started with yahoo, and gone to gmail, I think that says something.

Valok
November 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Where in the g-mail interface is the archive feature? I can't seem to find it.

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Where in the g-mail interface is the archive feature? I can't seem to find it.

See the circled button. At the moment, none of the emails are labelled, but labels can be coloured. You see the arrow pointing to all the labels I have.

If you label an email, archive it, you can get it by going to that label (and search by label, etc). Emails can have more than one label. So you don't have the restriction of folders, but all the flexibility you need. If something is an account email, and ubuntu related, you can give it both labels and archive it. You will be able to find it by viewing either label.

Valok
November 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Awesome! I never knew that about gmail and now that I do I don't think I'll stray away from it.