PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How many of you have reinstalled hardy?

lamppis
November 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I had to because Ubuntu 8.10 is so buggy. I love hardy <3

Sloma
November 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'm much more happy with this new release. It loads much faster than Hardy :)

togo59
November 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm stuck at the start. Can't update. Maybe it's just as well given all the threads about black screens etc. :(

sr71pav
November 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I might. I'm not liking the problems with the fglrx driver. I'm currently using the ati driver, instead. If I could have the new network manager with everything else, I'd probably go back.

bym007
November 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I tried it on 2 different computers, and both have been stuck with blank screen issue. I would love to have it, but I will wait till the bugs are brushed aside ....

lamppis
November 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm much more happy with this new release. It loads much faster than Hardy :)

For me it loads alot slower than Hardy :(

zwygart
November 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I have a trial boot XP/ub6.10/ub8.04 on the computer and LiveCD Ubuntu/LiveCD gentoo/Puppy400/puppyNOP/SystemRescueCD on my usb flash drive. I will try 8.10 when I have time, but to be sure not erase the others. My computer will have 4 OSes until all the things wich works on 6.10 will work on 8.04 or 8.10.

Therion
November 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid then reinstalled Hardy. Then I relented and installed Intrepid again which I'm running now. I've had Intrepid for a day and a half under this new install and I'm already starting to miss Hardy a little.

Things run slower for me under Intrepid, it seems buggier and apps are freezing or freaking out one me left and right (i.e. Firefox (crashy), VMWare (freaks totally)). Then, too add insult to injury, I find they killed off the "Flurry" screensaver -- my fav!

Still, I'm going to give Intrepid a little more rope and I'll just have to see if it hang's itself.

phreon
November 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have to reinstall after installing regular updates last Wed. My system was hosed.

WaterKip
November 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I reinstalled hardy yesterday. I'm happy again.

toallpointswest
November 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Is there a way to roll back an preserve your home directory in place? Or do you have to save it off and completely reformat?

gmstalk
November 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I think I am going to go back to 8.04. With 8.10 I lost all my network interfaces. I have no eth0 or Wlan0. I have jumped through all the voodoo posted on the forums with no success. I am very unhappy with 8.10 and the loss of such a critical service as networking.

Is it possible to downgrade with out losing everything? I am really, very, nausiatingly, unhappy with 8.10.

frigginacky
November 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Things run slower for me under Intrepid, it seems buggier and apps are freezing or freaking out one me left and right (i.e. Firefox (crashy), VMWare (freaks totally)). Then, too add insult to injury, I find they killed off the "Flurry" screensaver -- my fav!

Therion, if you want Flurry back (it's my fav screensaver, too!), check this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941675. It may not fix your other problems, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Therion
November 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Therion, if you want Flurry back (it's my fav screensaver, too!), check this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941675. It may not fix your other problems, but hey, it's better than nothing!
YOU... Are my new best friend.

Sloppyunderfoot
November 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hardy runs great on my machine. After seeing so many issues with Intrepid I think I'll wait a while to attempt it.

jbg
November 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
When I had 8.10 it would freeze up.....I tried several upgrades/fresh install all with the same results

cybrsaylr
November 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I put Ibex on my 11 yr old P2 and it runs pretty good even on that old PC. Don't really have any problems Ibex and like what they did.
Haven't decided when to put Ibex on my new laptop because Hardy is running great on that laptop in spite of losing wireless on Hardy awhile back.

rockorequin
November 9th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I have found heaps of problems with Intrepid that force me to use Hardy for at least some things:

* Intrepid no longer supports my hda-intel digital microphone sensitivity control (ie for the laptop's built-in microphone). The default setting is the minimum one, so ekiga/Skype etc is useless.

* There are bugs in the Intel 4965 agn wireless driver that cause kernel panics and/or fill the system log and therefore root partition so the system grinds to a halt. Kernel panics are especially bad because the entire PC freezes and you have to hard-reboot it.

* It can no longer format SD cards in the mmcblk device with gparted, as fdisk -l no longer shows partitions on the SD card in this device.

* The webcam doesn't work in Cheese in 320x240 resolution or above. (But you can choose the resolution, unlike in Hardy.)

* The nvidia 3d performance for games is _much_ worse (with both nvidia drivers). wine/Call of Duty 4 can only manage half the framerate, making it almost unplayable; OpenArena's benchmark fps is 44% slower running with 177.80 than with 173.14.12.

* Some games don't even run any more - eg wine/Call of Duty 2, which 99% of the time freezes on startup.

* In vinagre, as soon as you move the mouse out of the window showing the remote PC and back in again, the local mouse pointer disappears. This might seem minor but it makes using vinagre very frustrating because of the lag in moving the cursor and waiting for the remote cursor to catch up.

* I also don't get a faster boot time because X freezes for 20-30 seconds when starting up.

It's a pity, because there are some nice improvements that make me want to use Intrepid, like multi-tabs in nautilus and the new network-manager.

juny20
November 9th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I had too many problems as well. I upgraded to 8.10 on one laptop and installed Kubuntu, which then upgraded to the latest kernel. And boom, both laptops are now not working properly. I am going back to 8.04.

Update: I ended up re-installing 8.04 in my laptop and also my desktop. Perfect! Not a single problem; recognized all the component, boot up perfectly fine, no issues at all, great performance! I don't know what happened with the 8.10 release, but it seems there were a lot of unresolved issues! As I learn more about Ubuntu and Linux, I will consider testing the beta releases to avoid things like this in the future (or at least help in minimizing problems!). I have to say, I love Ubuntu and Linux, but I was very disappointed with 8.10.

Flag
November 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Never got rid of Hardy, I always keep a good working distro till I'm happy with the next release.

inwo
November 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I installed 8.10 kubuntu, hated kde 4, so went to gnome. found thread for kde3 in 8.10 and did that. yay kde3! but now I find I like the look of gnome better. only problem I have is the freeze at boot on my laptop. I have to hit the power button to make it continue. Other than that everything works great! now, when are we getting full voice and video for yahoo