PDA

View Full Version : Typing ubuntu in Firefox address bar

RobsterUK
November 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not really sure where this post belongs.

I've got into the habit over the last year or so of typing web searches into the Firefox address bar, especially if its one word that I know will take me straight to the site I want like "youtube" "amazon" "ebay"

I noticed today that this doesn't work if you type "ubuntu"

Does anyone know why this is, and/or any other examples where this doesn't work. At first I thought it might be that the word is too short, but some of the other ones that work are the same length or shorter.

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It takes me straight to http://www.ubuntu.com

scragar
November 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
"ubuntu" redirects me to ubuntu.upc.edu/
"ubuntu linux" redirects me to ubuntu.com

honestly though, it's gonna be less effort to use ctrl+enter to have it put the .com in, rather then typing linux to go along side it.

nomasteryoda
November 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
The reason you are getting directed to a different URL is your DNS server's cache is pointing to the wrong location.

That search box in Firefox uses Google on my ISP, but when I'm traveling I get sent to another search engine. If you don't believe me, try replacing your DNS entries in the network settings with OpenDNS IP addresses then restart the network and try searching from the address bar. You will be directed to the OpenDNS search engine.

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
The reason you are getting directed to a different URL is your DNS server's cache is pointing to the wrong location.

That search box in Firefox uses Google on my ISP, but when I'm traveling I get sent to another search engine. If you don't believe me, try replacing your DNS entries in the network settings with OpenDNS IP addresses then restart the network and try searching from the address bar. You will be directed to the OpenDNS search engine.

That's what OpenDNS does. You can disable this, I emailed their support about it :)

And I always use the shortcuts for .com (and .org and .net)

That said, I can just type "uf" to bring me here ;)

RobsterUK
November 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Hmm that's interesting. I thought the reason it queried Google when you type in the address bar, was that firefox was set to do that rather than it being the response of the DNS server.

In firefox about:config there is a keyword.url setting you can use to change the search engine it uses.

When I type "ubuntu" I end up with the error mentioned and http://ubuntu/ in the address bar.

EDIT: Ok I see what your saying. Firefox only queries a search engine if the DNS server doesn't return a result, and for some reason my DNS server is returning a result for "ubuntu" how strange. It became clear when I tried changing keyword.url to use yahoo, and the same thing happened.

brucewagner
November 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM

'uf' takes me to http://www.ufl.edu

What do you mean, '...use the shortcuts'...?

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
'uf' takes me to http://www.ufl.edu

What do you mean, '...use the shortcuts'...?

If you bookmark something you can assign it keywords. Try it and see :)

picpak
November 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I think this only happens if your hostname is ubuntu. For example, if you open up a terminal:

kim@ubuntu:~$

The bolded part that says "ubuntu" is your hostname.

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think this only happens if your hostname is ubuntu. For example, if you open up a terminal:

kim@ubuntu:~$

The bolded part that says "ubuntu" is your hostname.

The hostname of your computer has no effect on the way firefox works :)

schauerlich
November 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Funny, typing "f u" brings me to your profile page...

Martje_001
November 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
:/

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Watch it....

wolfen69
November 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
If you bookmark something you can assign it keywords. Try it and see :)

don't need it. it doesn't any faster than the fast dial add on. instant access to all my fav sites.

kef_kf
November 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
That's what OpenDNS does. You can disable this, I emailed their support about it :)

how can i disable this? its the only reason im not using opendns right now.

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
how can i disable this? its the only reason im not using opendns right now.

I never got round to trying it, due to a reinstall, but here's what I got back from their tech support:

To disable the guide and enable your browsers default search engine, please disable:
*typo correction,
*filtering of .cm wildcard,
*OpenDNS proxy.

Npl
November 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
The hostname of your computer has no effect on the way firefox works :)AFAIK it does. if you type "something" in the addressbar of a browser it will
1) try to resolve "something" in your Local Network
2) try resolving a few pre-/post-fixes (www.something.com, www.something.net, etc).

So having your hostname called "something" might prevent your browsers from seeking for the addresses in 2.

schauerlich
November 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
watch it....

<33

kernelhaxor
November 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
What it does is: if you type in a phrase in the address bar .. it does a google search and redirects you to the first link in the search results ..

I tried it for a bunch of phrases .. all the pages that I was redirected to were the first search results for the respective phrases