PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with my hard drive or something else?

burningicecube
November 7th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I already posted this in the Dell section by accident, sorry.

I have successfully installed Ubuntu on this computer in the past (while still having windows on it), but I took it off because I couldn't get it working with many programs that I was used to.

Before I ask for help relating to installing Ubuntu on this machine here is some back story. My computer had been slow for the past few days (I think I got a virus) and today when I tried to restart it a blue screen came up with the message "STOP: c0000128 Unknown Hard Error Unknown Hard Error". All of this happened when I was still running windows. So I tried system restore and many antivirus programs and nothing worked.

This is where I tried to install Ubuntu. On my other computer I put it on a CD and ran it on this one. The CD runs fine here (im typing this on the live version on the CD) but I can't install it. At 59% it says that something may be wrong with my CD drive or my hard disc.

I tried partitioning it in every way. Yes, all my previous files are gone now, but I'm fine with that. All I want to do is have Ubuntu on this computer. Is my hard drive completely worthless now? Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks for trying to help.

Partyboi2
November 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Try using a diagnostic tool to check you hard drive, you hard drive could be on its way out. If you know you hard drive manufacture normally you can download a hard drive diagnostic tool from there website.