PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with Graphics and Sound after update....

fluhartz
November 7th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hello All,

I updated to 8.10 a few days ago and have had a few issues since. First off...I am no expert at doing this stuff...at all, I just read a lot of peoples posts on how to do things.. This forum is great...

The update from Hardy to Intrepid was easy enough. Since then though I have been having a few issues and can't seem to get them fixed just by reading other posts.. So I thought I would ask.

I have AWN installed and I really like it a lot, but when ever I reboot it doesn't automatically come up.. Also, I have the desktop cube enabled and it goes to just two sides instead of 4.
I go to the Appearance Preferences and Visual Effects is always turned back to None. I reset that custom and reboot and all is fine.. Then say a day later when I am back and forth between Windows and Linux....it does it again. Why is this happening?

Another issue I am having is with my sound. Any movie or song will play just fine....and all video on web pages works also... but none of the system alerts or sound effects work though. It's not a huge issue, but one I would like to get resolved anyway..

For any information you might need:
My PC is a Dell XPS 420 with Nvidia graphics... Dual booting with Vista Ultimate being the main OS. I am using the Mac4lin v4 theme for Linux..

Any help will be appreciated............:)

Thanks
Flu

fluhartz
November 7th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled AWN using this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363

and now when I boot up I have AWN open up twice, and no matter what I do when I restart it there are two of them...

what the heck is going on?????

Any suggestions....Anyone....

Thanks
Flu