PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WinSCP linux alternative?

KyleThe49er
November 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I use WinSCP on my schools Windows workstation to connect to their servers. I would like to connect to these same servers using my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. The "Connect to server" program already on Ubuntu cannot seem to connect. I use a password to login, and it does not ask for one. Are there any programs out there that work the same way and are as easy to use? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations! :)

dannyboy79
July 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I use WinSCP on my schools Windows workstation to connect to their servers. I would like to connect to these same servers using my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04. The "Connect to server" program already on Ubuntu cannot seem to connect. I use a password to login, and it does not ask for one. Are there any programs out there that work the same way and are as easy to use? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations! :)
i am looking for an alternate to winscp also because i am trying to connect to my iphone. i have a id_rsa file in my home directory which has a passphrase so when I try to use gftp to connect to iphone i only get to enter one password. and I need to enter 2. one being the passphrase and one being the root password for the iphone. any help would be appreciated.

unlimitedz
July 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
All you need to do is connect via SSH. You can use the linux command "scp" to do file transfers between you and the server.
open a terminal and type

man ssh

SlugSlug
July 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I use > places > connect to server > ssh server and add it to my bookmarks -- very nice

malikjunaid
January 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I use > places > connect to server > ssh server and add it to my bookmarks -- very nice

Great Tip , I was looking for it since long.
Thanks

Mesqueeb
January 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I can not connect to my ipod anymore with the laptop of my brother with windows...
The problem is that my ubuntu computer only has wired internet!!
and when I go to ssh and fill in: ip address, "root" port 22, it fails to connect!!
(and where do I fill in "alpine"??)
Thanks!