PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Ubutnu along with windows without setting up partitions?

leanandgreen
November 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I would like to have the option of running both Ubuntu and Windows on my laptop and want to avoid any complicated set up issues, like partitions. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? So far I have just been using LiveCD to run Ubuntu.

Thanks!

Matt_D
November 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
install vmware in windows, then load ubuntu in that. would be much better to do partition your drive to allow a full install and dual boot, but the vmware route is a good way to go to get your feet wet.

lisati
November 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Some install CDs are setup so that when you insert them while running windows, you are given an "Install within Windows" option. This reduces the need to mess around with partitions. Later, if you so choose, you can use the Windows "add/remove programs" option to uninstall.

oilchangeguy
November 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I would like to have the option of running both Ubuntu and Windows on my laptop and want to avoid any complicated set up issues, like partitions. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? So far I have just been using LiveCD to run Ubuntu.

Thanks!

or you could do an actual dual boot. just be sure to back up your data. boot the live cd, and follow the prompts. when you get to the partition part, just make sure you select the option to use free space (don't remember the exact words). there's no need to do any manual partitioning. too many linux users for some strange reason feel the need to do everything the hard way. if you follow the prompts and do it correctly, ubuntu does a fine job of setting it's own partitions.

ellalan
November 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have installed using "wubi" within my Vista. You can insert the Ubuntu live CD and select the "Install within windows" option,thats all you have to do.

leanandgreen
November 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks so much for the tips. I will try the install option from my Live CD and avoid the partitioning option. I was a little nervous to try this, but I feel more confident now. Thanks again!

the lush
November 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Yep, use the Wubi installer on the disk, so insert the CD once you are in Windows, not before boot, and it is incredibly easy (assuming nothing goes wrong).

chakra_dude
November 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
installing it in vmware is a good way to try out Ubuntu but the real fun part is actually installing it standard way like dual booting. :)