PDA

View Full Version : Cover of Personal Computer World magazine in UK

Sealbhach
November 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.subscription.co.uk/covers/current/pcwdvd.jpg

Just saw this on the magazine shelves today.

Picture of Che and "Join the Linux Revolution".

They give away a CD with Puppy Linux and Linux Mint.

Nice.

KillerSponge
November 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I still hate the whole "Linux is for communists!" implication... :mad:

MaxIBoy
November 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Linux is publicly associated with a militant Communist radical, and the CD has two distros that both look über Windows-like, thus discouraging people on a subconscious level from letting go of the Windows way of thinking. Nice.

Don't get me wrong, this is great for Linux, but their presentation is going to turn off a LOT of people that would otherwise have tried it out.

voteforpedro36
November 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
and the CD has two distros that both look über Windows-like, thus discouraging people on a subconscious level from letting go of the Windows way of thinking. Nice.

What? Other than the one panel, how does Mint look like Windows?

derekr44
November 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I really dislike the whole Revolution-Che Guevara symbolism so often brandished.

There have been plenty other revolutions in the world that didn't lead to degenerate communism... why continue the association?

It reminds me of the Facebook Group I joined: "Che Guevara was a murderer and your tshirt is not cool"
:lolflag:

MaxIBoy
November 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
"che guevara was a murderer and your tshirt is not cool"
+1

Sealbhach
November 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I really dislike the whole Revolution-Che Guevara symbolism so often brandished.

In the UK, the whole Che thing is seen as a brand, just an icon of youth rebellion. It's not got the ideological baggage that it appears to have in the US.

Should appeal to the group most likely to try Linux, young males aged 12-20.

Lutin
November 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Personal Computer World seem to be finally cottoning on to the fact that windows (which ever version) is not the only operating system in the known universe. They have been playing lip-service to Linux for the last few years.

In a recent article charting the course of computing over the last 30 years, the word microsoft appeared no less than 133 times!!! The word Linux appeared twice.

PCW should have been renamed PCWW years ago - Personal Computers With Windows.

Okay, rant over.

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Just saw this on the magazine shelves today.

Picture of Che and "Join the Linux Revolution".

They give away a CD with Puppy Linux and Linux Mint.

Nice.

That front page will do more harm then good.

Not a lot of people buy such magazine, but loads of them glance or at least see it on the stand.

Now the image, linux = communism" has been put into their heads.

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
"che guevara was a murderer and your tshirt is not cool"

+1

smoker
November 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
In the UK, the whole Che thing is seen as a brand, just an icon of youth rebellion. It's not got the ideological baggage that it appears to have in the US.

Should appeal to the group most likely to try Linux, young males aged 12-20..

i agree, i think the cover's been chosen to help sales, and including mint, which has all the restricted codecs from install (i believe), should make it easy for anyone trying linux for the first time. not everyone who tries will move to linux, but a percentage will, and will try other distros as a result, so imo, a positive move for the magazine, and for linux.

MaxIBoy
November 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Che Guevara doesn't have an awful lot of "ideological baggage" here, but Che Guevara combined with the word "revolution" most certainly does.

danbuter
November 7th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Use linux, then you can torture helpless prisoners for hours just like Che!

Joeb454
November 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Lets not decend into politics and Che Guevara's doings now people.

Also - PCW has had a "Hands On: Linux" for quite a few years now - their distro of choice?.........Take a guess ;)

zmjjmz
November 7th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Also - PCW has had a "Hands On: Linux" for quite a few years now - their distro of choice?.........Take a guess ;)

Gentoo Linux?

factotum218
November 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM

I've always found the political overtones in computer software and marketing in general to be rather humorous. Horray I'm free! From what, I don't know first hand but everyone else seems to be happy with my choice so who cares! I'm free!
If Microsoft really makes you that upset, you need to throw your computer away and find something else to do with your life.

MaxIBoy
November 7th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Gentoo Linux?

That's almost as hands-on as you can get! (LFS doesn't count, as everyone knows LFS is reserved for the terminally insane.)

mentallaxative
November 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Sadly, the first thing that came to mind was this (http://maddox.xmission.com/). Let's hope everyone else is just as uninformed about South American history as me.