PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help installing Ubuntu 8.10 please...

The Noob
November 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well more to re-assure myself that im doing this right.I have read other things but like my name says...so i am trying to dual boot with vista pre-installed and i cant seem to shrink the partition it only allows 6 gigs? but i have 250 gigs also i have defragged it 3 times.

Pumalite
November 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
You have to allocate space for Ubuntu with the Vista partitioner first. You cannot use the Ubuntu Live CD to 'shrink' Vista.

The Noob
November 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You have to allocate space for Ubuntu with the Vista partitioner first. You cannot use the Ubuntu Live CD to 'shrink' Vista.Sorry i should have been more specific. i used the vista partitioner, i have Ubuntu on a CD still, but i am stuck on partitioning the HD on vista.

Pumalite
November 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
At the partitioner; you have to go 'Manual' and pick the free space and make 3 'New' partitions:
10 GB for '/'
The rest minus your RAM for /home
Your amount of RAM for /swap
Then proceed with the installation.

Pumalite
November 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
You can also make one large partition out of the free space and make it 'mount point' '/'

The Noob
November 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
im sorry i didn't really understand what you typed(are you saying i should use gparted?)because the vista one isnt working it does not let me shrink it well it lets me shrink only 6 gigs i need more but it does not let me)

Roger Hoo
November 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Well more to re-assure myself that im doing this right.I have read other things but like my name says...so i am trying to dual boot with vista pre-installed and i cant seem to shrink the partition it only allows 6 gigs? but i have 250 gigs also i have defragged it 3 times.

y not use the tool DISKMAN, it can change the partions not affecting the system,i dont'know it has English version.

The Noob
November 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
dudes im going hysterical i know little of computers and doing stuff on them keep it more simple please.so how can i shrink my vista partition ? Becasue its not letting me shrink it to my desire, it only has 6 gigs available? any solutions

Pumalite
November 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Maybe you should turn PageFile to '0'. You can turn it after the partitioning to its original size.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

The Noob
November 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Alright thanks,ill try those steps and post back here when im done

The Noob
November 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well those steps only made it worse...i can only shrink 413MB.Also am i suppose to use perfect disk to shrink? Because i used the vista partitioner.

caljohnsmith
November 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
As mentioned earlier by Pumalite, it is better if you can use Vista's partitioner to do the resizing, but since you can't, you can use Ubuntu's partition editor gparted. You just have to make sure you have either your Vista Install CD or a Vista Recovery CD that you can download from here (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/), because after using gparted you'll need to run a command from the Vista CD in order to update Vista's partition table to get Vista booting OK again. To use gparted, just boot your Live CD, select the option "try Ubuntu without making changes", and when you get to the desktop, go to System > Admin > Partition Editor.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. :)