PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Marble Mouse Horizontal scroll in 8.10

dld
November 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
There was a nice thread in Intrepid Testing & ... concerned with using the Marble Mouse to scroll. I did the *.fdi file bit, and do have scrolling --
vertically. One article mentioned that horizontal scrolling was not working, and that is my situation also. Has anyone found a fix that give both horizontal and vertical scrolling??

dld
November 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
SOLVED! This is what I have as scroll.fdi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">

<match key="info.product" string="Logitech USB Trackball">
<merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">1 8 3 2 9</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheel" type="string">true</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheelButton" type="string">9</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.XAxisMapping" type="string">6 7</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.YAxisMapping" type="string">4 5</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ZAxisMapping" type="string">4 5</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">true</merge>
</match>

</deviceinfo>

Adding the XAxisMapping and YAx... lines made the difference. I don't
know why, or that the YAxis... line is necessary.

Galeo Deus
November 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
For me, adding/subtracting/modifying any .fdi file in the hal/fdi/policy folder does nothing. I cannot get any kind of scrolling to work, let alone horizontal scroll. Putting anything in any .fdi file does nothing. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

What I'm trying to do (and have no idea how to do) is to get the left little button as middle click (to open new tab in firefox) as well as scroll when click-hold, then the right little button as "back".

fhansson
December 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
For me, adding/subtracting/modifying any .fdi file in the hal/fdi/policy folder does nothing. I cannot get any kind of scrolling to work, let alone horizontal scroll. Putting anything in any .fdi file does nothing. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

What I'm trying to do (and have no idea how to do) is to get the left little button as middle click (to open new tab in firefox) as well as scroll when click-hold, then the right little button as "back".

I have the same problem. Adding .fdi files does nothing to my system, have tried reboot the computer as well. I did exactly as the tutorial and called the file MarbleMouse.fdi. It says nothing about the filename so I suppose it does not matter. Anyone else having the same problem?

tad
March 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Check your permissions. Make sure your fdi file is world-readable:

sudo chmod go+r MarbleMouse.fdi